Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Finding the Linear equation.

Chipset3600

Feb 14, 2012
Hello guys, i hv doubt in this question:

"1-Mark the point Q, such that the line through P (1, -2) and Q is perpendicular to the x axis (the horizontal axis) so that the point Q to point P is equidistant from the axis x. Find the equation of the line."

If the line be perpendicular of the X axis, so will be parallel of the Y axis. A line parallel to the axis Y can be a function?
OBS: Sorry about my bad technical English.

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
It can't be a function, but it can be geometrically described. Its property is that the $x$ coordinate is constant. Since it has to pass through $P$, then we necessarily have $x=1$. Since it has to be equidistant to the axis, we need to find the distance of $P$ to it, which is simply the absolute value of the $y$ coordinate. By drawing a figure you can see that the solution is $Q=(1,2)$.

Chipset3600

Feb 14, 2012
So i guess my teacher didnt elaborate good this exercice, becos we are in Calculus 1, and we are studying as function of X
It can't be a function, but it can be geometrically described. Its property is that the $x$ coordinate is constant. Since it has to pass through $P$, then we necessarily have $x=1$. Since it has to be equidistant to the axis, we need to find the distance of $P$ to it, which is simply the absolute value of the $y$ coordinate. By drawing a figure you can see that the solution is $Q=(1,2)$.