Finding the LCM of two expressions

• MHB
  • Thread starter zolton5971
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, to find the least common denominator of 3(2x-2) and x(5x-5), you need to split each term into prime factors and multiply by the highest power of each prime factor. The LCM in this case is 6(x-1)(5x).
zolton5971
Find the least common denominator of 3(2x-2) and x(5x-)5

I wanted to double check this, I got 10 as an answer? If not how would you get the LCD?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zolton5971 said:
Find the least common denominator of 3(2x-2) and x(5x-)5

I wanted to double check this, I got 10 as an answer? If not how would you get the LCD?

Do you mean \(\displaystyle x(5x-5)\)? You're answer should include \(\displaystyle x\) somewhere

The lowest common multiple (LCM) is given by splitting each term into prime factors and multiplying by the highest power of each prime factor. For example to find the LCM of 10 and 15 (it's 30) you'd do

\(\displaystyle 10 = 2 \times 5 \text{ and }\ 15 = 3 \times 5\) so the LCM is given by \(\displaystyle 2 \times 3 \times 5 = 30\)

You can do the same with algebraic fractions but remember to treat any polynomials or variables as prime - after simplifying you have \(\displaystyle 6(x-1)\) and \(\displaystyle 5x(x-1)\)

Can you use the method above to find the LCM?

Related to Finding the LCM of two expressions

1. What is the LCM of two expressions?

The LCM (Least Common Multiple) of two expressions is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by both of the expressions without any remainder.

2. How do you find the LCM of two expressions?

To find the LCM of two expressions, you can use the prime factorization method. First, find the prime factors of each expression. Then, multiply the highest power of each prime factor together to get the LCM.

3. Can the LCM of two expressions be smaller than both expressions?

No, the LCM of two expressions must be equal to or greater than the larger of the two expressions.

4. Is the LCM of two expressions always unique?

Yes, the LCM of two expressions is always unique. This means that no matter which method you use to find the LCM, you will always get the same result.

5. What is the significance of finding the LCM of two expressions?

Finding the LCM of two expressions is important in many mathematical equations and problems. It allows you to simplify fractions, find common denominators, and solve problems involving multiples and factors.