Finding the Intersection of Subfields in Finite Fields

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intersection
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intersection of two subfields, $\mathbb{F}_{p^m}$ and $\mathbb{F}_{p^n}$, in $\overline{\mathbb{Z}}_p$. The approach used involves using the fact that subfields are ordered by divisibility and that the greatest common divisor of two numbers divides both of them. Additionally, the question of whether $A \leq B$ and $A \leq C$ implies $A \leq (B \cap C)$ is answered in the affirmative. The conclusion is that the intersection of $\mathbb{F}_{p^m}$ and $\mathbb{F}_{p^n}$ is equal to $\mathbb
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $\mathbb{F}_{p^m}$ and $\mathbb{F}_{p^n}$ be subfields of $\overline{\mathbb{Z}}_p$ with $p^n$ and $p^m$ elements respectively.

To find the field $\mathbb{F}_{p^m} \cap \mathbb{F}_{p^n}$ I have done the following:

Let $\mathbb{F}_{p^n} \cap \mathbb{F}_{p^m} = \mathbb{F}_{p^d}$.

$\mathbb{F}_{p^a} \leq \mathbb{F}_{p^b} \Leftrightarrow a \mid b$

We have that $\mathbb{F}_{p^d} \leq \mathbb{F}_{p^n} \Rightarrow d \mid n$ and $\mathbb{F}_{p^d} \leq \mathbb{F}_{p^m} \Rightarrow d \mid m$

So, $d \mid \gcd(n,m)$. We have that $\gcd(n, m) \mid m \Rightarrow \mathbb{F}_{p^{\gcd(n,m)}} \leq \mathbb{F}_{p^m}$ and $\gcd(n, m) \mid n \Rightarrow \mathbb{F}_{p^{\gcd(n,m)}} \leq \mathbb{F}_{p^n}$Does it stand that if $A \leq B$ and $A \leq C$, then $A\leq (B\cap C)$ ?? (Wondering)

If it stands, then we have that $\mathbb{F}_{p^{\gcd(n, m)}} \leq \mathbb{F}_{p^d} \Rightarrow \gcd(n, m) \mid d$

So, $d \mid \gcd(n, m)$ and $\gcd(n, m) \mid d$.

That means that $d=\gcd(n, m)$.

Therefore, $\mathbb{F}_{p^n} \cap \mathbb{F}_{p^m} = \mathbb{F}_{p^{\gcd(n, m)}}$

Is this correct?? (Wondering) Or could I improve something ?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! Your approach to finding the intersection of the two subfields is correct. You correctly used the fact that the subfields are ordered by divisibility, and that the intersection must also be a subfield. You also correctly used the fact that the greatest common divisor of two numbers divides both of them.

As for your question about whether $A \leq B$ and $A \leq C$ implies $A \leq (B \cap C)$, the answer is yes. This is because any element in $A$ must also be in both $B$ and $C$, since $A$ is a subset of both $B$ and $C$. Therefore, $A$ is also a subset of their intersection, which is $B \cap C$.

Overall, your reasoning is sound and your conclusion is correct. Great job! Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

Related to Finding the Intersection of Subfields in Finite Fields

1. What is the purpose of finding the intersection?

The purpose of finding the intersection is to determine the point or points where two or more lines, curves, or surfaces meet or cross each other.

2. How can I find the intersection of two lines?

To find the intersection of two lines, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. This involves solving for the variables in each equation and then substituting one equation into the other to find the value of the variables at the point of intersection.

3. Can I find the intersection of more than two lines?

Yes, you can find the intersection of multiple lines by using the same method of substitution or elimination. However, as the number of lines increases, the calculations become more complex and may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

4. Is it possible for two lines to not have an intersection?

Yes, two lines can be parallel and never intersect. In this case, there is no point of intersection because the lines never cross each other.

5. Can I use the concept of intersection in other fields of science?

Yes, the concept of intersection is widely used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to determine the points where two or more objects or systems meet or interact with each other.