Finding the inductance of an circuit knowing the energy stored

In summary: If the total energy stored in the circuit below is 190 mJ, what is the value of L?IS = 2 AR1 = 250 ΩR2 = 38 ΩC = 41 µFGive your answer to the nearest whole number, in mH (I have attached the diagram)I first try to find the equivalent impedence knowing that the impedence of an inductor is jωL and the impedence of a capacitor is -j/(ωC)I try to do this so as I can find Vs and hence using the formula:E = (CV^2 + LI^2)/2I would be able to find
Jd303
If the total energy stored in the circuit below is 190 mJ, what is the value of L?
IS = 2 A
R1 = 250 Ω : R2 = 38 Ω
C = 41 µF
Give your answer to the nearest whole number, in mH (I have attached the diagram)

I first try to find the equivalent impedence knowing that the impedence of an inductor is jωL and the impedence of a capacitor is -j/(ωC)

I try to do this so as I can find Vs and hence using the formula:
E = (CV^2 + LI^2)/2
I would be able to find the value of L

However I have too many unknowns to be able to find the equivalent impedance, so how do i go about this question? Any help would be greatly appreciated I am really stuck. Thanks!

Attachments

• RLC.jpg
    RLC.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,117
Physics news on Phys.org
Jd303 said:
If the total energy stored in the circuit below is 190 mJ, what is the value of L?
IS = 2 A
R1 = 250 Ω : R2 = 38 Ω
C = 41 µF
Give your answer to the nearest whole number, in mH (I have attached the diagram)

I first try to find the equivalent impedence knowing that the impedence of an inductor is jωL and the impedence of a capacitor is -j/(ωC)

I try to do this so as I can find Vs and hence using the formula:
E = (CV^2 + LI^2)/2
I would be able to find the value of L

However I have too many unknowns to be able to find the equivalent impedance, so how do i go about this question? Any help would be greatly appreciated I am really stuck. Thanks!

Notice how your current is unchanging. Your circuit is at a steady state.

Using this fact you can simplify your circuit. Recall that at a steady state, capacitors act like open circuits, and inductors act as wires. Since you have a known current entering the circuit, you can use Kirchoffs Current Law to determine the current through the inductor at a steady state.

Thanks for your help! Sorry to be a bit slow, but I still can't obtain the correct answer.
As I am looking at it with the inductor replaced by a wire, and the capacitor replaced with an open circuit I am left with a simple circuit with the two resistors in parallel.

I then go to find the current going through R2 such that:

Ix = (R1/(R1 + R2))*Is

I then use the formula E = (LI^2)/2

To find the value of L

Can anyone please explain the mistake I have made, thanks.!

Jd303 said:
Thanks for your help! Sorry to be a bit slow, but I still can't obtain the correct answer.
As I am looking at it with the inductor replaced by a wire, and the capacitor replaced with an open circuit I am left with a simple circuit with the two resistors in parallel.

I then go to find the current going through R2 such that:

Ix = (R1/(R1 + R2))*Is

I then use the formula E = (LI^2)/2

To find the value of L

Can anyone please explain the mistake I have made, thanks.!

I think you're forgetting that the capacitor stores energy as well.

Sorry lazy mistake.

In that case I get this:

E = (CV^2 + LI^2)/2
Therefore:

L = (2E - CV^2)/I^2

I(through inductor) = (R/(R1 + R2))*Is

V = (R1*R2/(R1+R2))*Is

Doing this I still am left with an incorrect answer

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks for your help! corrected my mistakes was just a calculator error. cheers!

Related to Finding the inductance of an circuit knowing the energy stored

1. What is inductance and how is it related to energy stored in a circuit?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that causes it to oppose changes in current. It is measured in units of Henry (H) and is directly related to the amount of energy stored in a circuit. The higher the inductance, the more energy can be stored in a circuit.

2. How can I calculate the inductance of a circuit?

The inductance of a circuit can be calculated using the formula L = (N^2 * μ * A)/l, where N is the number of turns in the coil, μ is the permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

3. What factors affect the inductance of a circuit?

The inductance of a circuit is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the type of core material used, the cross-sectional area of the coil, and the length of the coil. It is also affected by the frequency of the current passing through the circuit.

4. Can the energy stored in a circuit be increased by increasing the inductance?

Yes, the energy stored in a circuit can be increased by increasing the inductance. This is because a higher inductance means the circuit is better at storing energy, and therefore, more energy can be stored in the circuit.

5. How is inductance measured experimentally?

Inductance can be measured experimentally using an inductance meter or by performing a series of calculations using known values of the circuit components. It can also be measured indirectly by measuring the frequency and current of a circuit, as they are directly related to inductance.