Finding the incline of the slope

In summary, a new member introduces themselves and asks for help solving a physics problem involving a skier with a force of 200N and an acceleration of 2.5m/s^2. They mention using the gsincos equation or the weight^2=net force^2+normal force^2 formula to determine if the slope is greater than 45 degrees. Another member suggests using the arcsin of a/g and reminds the OP to convert kg to weight in Newtons before using the second formula. A diagram is also provided for reference.
happyjoe
Hey everyone, I'm new here, and just wanted to say hi first. Second, I was wondering if anyone would so kind as to help me with this problem.

Homework Statement

An 80kg skiier has a force of 200N exerted on him down the slope. Now I've already found the acceleration of 2.5m/s^2, however, now i need to work out whether the slop is more than 45 degrees. I understand I need to use the gsincos equation, but I'm getting nowhere in using it. If anyone could explain how I'm able to find whether the slope is greater than 45 degrees or not, then i'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Homework Equations

Not sure if I am on the right track but.

Sincos = a/g = 2.5/9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks like you are on the right track.

you can also solve this by using the forces. weight^2=net force^2+normal force^2 for inclines.

EDIT: sorry had made a mistake in the formula.

Last edited:
pooface said:
looks like you are on the right track.

you can also solve this by using the forces. weight^2=net force^2+normal force^2 for inclines.

EDIT: sorry had made a mistake in the formula.

Thanks for your help! :D I am not sure if I am doing it right still though as when I do the first equation of sincos = acceleration/gravity I get 0.255, and when I do the second equation that you gave me I get weight ^2 = 614,656kg, net force ^2 = 40,0000 + normal force^2 = 40000. The answer I keep getting is 7.68 which may be correct, but I am not sure if it is.

Thanks! :D

do arcsin of a/g:

Check your equation in the notes again. I don't know what this 'sincos' is.

kg is not a weight quantity, it is mass. To convert kg to weight in Newtons you must first multiply the mass in kg by acceleration due to gravity which is 9.81m/s^2.

The second formula is the pythagorean formula. The forces create a triangle.
see this diagram. http://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/great-pyramid/inclined-plane.gif

Gm is the weight, N is normal force.

Related to Finding the incline of the slope

1. What is the incline of a slope?

The incline of a slope, also known as the slope angle or gradient, is the measure of how steep or gradual a slope is. It is typically expressed as a percentage, ratio, or angle.

2. How do you find the incline of a slope?

To find the incline of a slope, you need to know the vertical rise and horizontal run of the slope. The incline can be calculated by dividing the rise by the run and multiplying by 100 to get the percentage, or by taking the inverse tangent of the rise over run to get the angle in degrees.

3. What is the difference between slope and incline?

Slope and incline are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Slope refers to the steepness of a surface, while incline specifically refers to the steepness of a slope or ramp.

4. Can the incline of a slope be negative?

Yes, the incline of a slope can be negative. A negative incline indicates a downward slope or a decline. In this case, the rise will be a negative number and the run will be a positive number when calculating the incline.

5. Why is it important to find the incline of a slope?

Finding the incline of a slope is important for various reasons. It helps determine the difficulty of a hiking trail, the grade of a road or railway, and the stability of a structure built on a slope. It is also crucial in engineering and construction projects to ensure safety and proper functioning.