Finding the ideals of an algebra

In summary, to find the ideals in A=Z_5[x]/I, you need to find all subsets of A that satisfy the definition of an ideal.
DeldotB
Say I have the algebra [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[x]/I [/itex] where is the [itex] I[/itex] is the principle ideal generated by [itex] x^2+4[/itex]. How do I find the ideals in A? I can't seem to find an explanation that is clear anywhere. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

I am a bit confused by your "How do I find the ideals in A?" when there is no mention of A! Did you mean [itex]A= Z_5 [x]/I[/itex]?

A subset, S, of an algebra, A, is an "ideal" if and only if the product of a member of s with any member of A is again in S. [itex]Z_5[x][/itex] is the set of all polynomials of degree 5 or less with integer coefficients. I is the set of all such polynomials of the form [itex](x^2+ 4)Z_3[x][/itex] where [itex]Z_3[x][/itex] is the set of all polynomials of degree 3 or less with integer coefficients.

Related to Finding the ideals of an algebra

1. What are the basic principles of algebra?

The basic principles of algebra include the use of variables, the properties of operations, and the rules of equations. Variables are symbols that represent unknown quantities, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division are used to manipulate these variables. Equations are statements that show the relationship between different variables.

2. How do you find the ideals of an algebra?

Ideals in algebra are sets of elements that satisfy certain properties, such as closure under addition and multiplication. To find the ideals of an algebra, you can use the ideal-generating algorithm, which involves finding all possible combinations of elements that satisfy the ideal properties. You can also use the ideal membership test, which checks if a given set of elements satisfies the ideal properties.

3. What is the difference between an ideal and a subgroup in algebra?

An ideal in algebra is a subset of the algebra that is closed under the operations of addition and multiplication. It is similar to a subgroup, which is a subset of a group that is closed under the group operation. However, an ideal can be defined for any algebraic structure, while a subgroup is specific to groups. Additionally, an ideal may contain elements that are not in the algebra, while a subgroup must only contain elements from the original group.

4. How are ideals used in algebraic structures?

Ideals are important in algebraic structures because they help us understand the structure and properties of the algebra. They can be used to define quotient structures, which are formed by dividing the original algebra by the ideal. Ideals can also be used to prove theorems and solve problems in algebra, as they provide a way to simplify complex algebraic expressions and equations.

5. Can you give an example of an ideal in algebra?

One example of an ideal in algebra is the set of even integers in the algebra of integers. This set is closed under addition and multiplication, and any integer multiplied by an even integer will result in another even integer. Thus, the set of even integers is an ideal in the algebra of integers.