Finding the horizontal range of a projectile when maximum height is not known

In summary, the projectile is shot from a height of 20.4 meters with an initial speed of 40 meters per second and it crosses the tower in 2 seconds. The angle of projection is 30 degrees and the horizontal range is 141.3 meters.
Quantum Mind

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched with an velocity of 40 m/s and crosses a tower of height 20.4 m after 2 seconds. Find the angle of projection with the horizontal and the horizontal range.

Homework Equations

S = ut - 1/2 gt2 where S is the distance, u = 40 Sin[itex]\Theta[/itex] and g is 9.8 m/s2 and t=2 seconds.

S = v*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the angle of projection which is 30 degrees, but I am not getting the horizontal range. The answer is 141.3 m while I keep getting 138.56 (I used the equation distance = velocity * time i.e. 40Cos[itex]\Theta[/itex] * 4 ).

As I see it, the difficulty is that the maximum height reached is not known as the problem states that the projectile crosses the tower in 2 seconds and it doesn't say that it is the maximum height reached. Therefore the time t for the total time traveled cannot be equal to 4 seconds. How to proceed further?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Mind said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched with an velocity of 40 m/s and crosses a tower of height 20.4 m after 2 seconds. Find the angle of projection with the horizontal and the horizontal range.

Homework Equations

S = ut - 1/2 gt2 where S is the distance, u = 40 Sin[itex]\Theta[/itex] and g is 9.8 m/s2 and t=2 seconds.

S = v*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the angle of projection which is 30 degrees, but I am not getting the horizontal range. The answer is 141.3 m while I keep getting 138.56 (I used the equation distance = velocity * time i.e. 40Cos[itex]\Theta[/itex] * 4 ).

As I see it, the difficulty is that the maximum height reached is not known as the problem states that the projectile crosses the tower in 2 seconds and it doesn't say that it is the maximum height reached. Therefore the time t for the total time traveled cannot be equal to 4 seconds. How to proceed further?
You have calculated the angle of projection. You are also given the initial speed and hence you can compute the initial vertical velocity. From that you can work out the total flight time without needing the maximal height.

I get it now, thanks.

Related to Finding the horizontal range of a projectile when maximum height is not known

What is the horizontal range of a projectile?

The horizontal range of a projectile is the distance traveled horizontally by the projectile before it hits the ground. It is typically measured in meters or feet.

How do you calculate the horizontal range of a projectile?

To calculate the horizontal range of a projectile, you need to know the initial velocity, launch angle, and time of flight of the projectile. The formula for calculating horizontal range is R = (v0^2 * sin2θ) / g, where R is the horizontal range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What if the maximum height of the projectile is not known?

If the maximum height of the projectile is not known, you can still calculate the horizontal range using the above formula. However, you will need to use the time of flight as the variable instead of the maximum height.

What factors can affect the horizontal range of a projectile?

The horizontal range of a projectile can be affected by several factors, such as initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and gravitational pull. Other factors that may affect the horizontal range include the shape and weight of the projectile, as well as any external forces acting on it.

Why is it important to calculate the horizontal range of a projectile?

Calculating the horizontal range of a projectile is important for several reasons. It helps determine the distance a projectile can travel, which is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics. It can also be used to predict the trajectory of a projectile and ensure its safe and accurate delivery to a target.