Finding the H Field from the E Field

• Thread starter lcr2139
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation is about finding the H vector field using the Maxwell's equations. The person tried to use the equation ∇ X H = -dD/dt, but was unsure how to find H from the partial derivative. The expert suggests using another equation from the Maxwell's equations, which involves taking the curl of E and dividing it by -permeability to get H. This can be done by taking the integral of the result.
lcr2139

Homework Statement

[/B]
E (Vector) = 18.85*cos(omega*t - 15*z) a_x (unit vector)
Find H(vector) field

Homework Equations

[/B]
I tried ∇ X H = -dD/dt, in which I take the derivative of E(vector). How do I pull H from the curl?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I took the derivative of -dD/dt, and came up with ∇ X H . I used the matrix to find the partial derivative of H, but I do not know how to find H from the partial derivative. Also, I do not know how to find the direction of H.

Can you please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try another equation from the Maxwell's equations which enables you to calculate H easily from E.

The way to arrive at H is indeed to employ the other major Maxwell equation. But the math is a bit extensive. In your course work you probably derived, or saw derived, the simple relation between the H and E fields of a plane wave.

Curl of E equals to derivative of H multipled by -permeability. So, take the curl of E, divide to -permeability, then take the integral of that , you have H now.

Related to Finding the H Field from the E Field

1. How do I determine the H field from the E field?

The H field can be determined using the equation H = (1/μ) x E, where μ is the permeability of the medium. This equation relates the H field to the E field in a linear, isotropic, and homogeneous medium.

2. What is the significance of finding the H field from the E field?

Finding the H field from the E field is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a medium. It also allows us to calculate important parameters such as the energy and power of the electromagnetic wave.

3. Can the H field be determined in a non-linear medium?

No, the equation H = (1/μ) x E only applies to linear media. In non-linear media, the relationship between the H and E fields is more complex and cannot be determined using a simple equation.

4. Is it possible to have an H field without an E field?

No, the H field and the E field are always present together in an electromagnetic wave. They are both essential components of the wave and cannot exist without each other.

5. How does the H field relate to the direction of propagation of an electromagnetic wave?

The H field is always perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the electromagnetic wave. This means that the H field is always at a right angle to the direction in which the wave is traveling.