Finding the force vector of an object with angular velocity

In summary, the question is asking about finding the force vector in a collision between two cubes, where one cube has both linear and angular velocity. The person is looking for help in creating a physics engine for a game and has some information about the cubes, such as their masses, locations, and speeds. They are unsure about how to find the force vector in this situation.
So let's say i have two cubes. If one of them slams into the other (assuming it isn't moving at all) then the force vector is just going to be the direction the first cube was moving in correct? But say that this first cube also had angular velocity on some arbitrary axis, in other words it's rotating. How exactly would I find the force vector in this case? I don't know the torque of this collision but I do know the displacement vector. I also know the masses, locations, angular/linear speeds, and other general information (i realize this is pretty ambiguous) about the cubes. I'm trying to make a physics engine for a game and I don't have a huge background in physics or anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi 1101! :smile:

i don't know what you mean by the force vector …

force doesn't really come into it …

you need conservation of momentum and also conservation of angular momentum :wink:

1101 said:
So let's say i have two cubes. If one of them slams into the other (assuming it isn't moving at all) then the force vector is just going to be the direction the first cube was moving in correct? But say that this first cube also had angular velocity on some arbitrary axis, in other words it's rotating. How exactly would I find the force vector in this case? I don't know the torque of this collision but I do know the displacement vector. I also know the masses, locations, angular/linear speeds, and other general information (i realize this is pretty ambiguous) about the cubes. I'm trying to make a physics engine for a game and I don't have a huge background in physics or anything.

Related to Finding the force vector of an object with angular velocity

1. What is the difference between force and angular velocity?

Force is a physical quantity that causes a change in motion or shape of an object, while angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point.

2. How do you calculate the force vector of an object with angular velocity?

The force vector of an object with angular velocity can be calculated using the formula F = m * ω * r, where F is the force vector, m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the fixed point to the object.

3. Can the force vector and angular velocity change over time?

Yes, both the force vector and angular velocity can change over time. This can happen if there is a change in the mass or velocity of the object, or if there are external forces acting on the object.

4. How does the direction of the force vector relate to the direction of the angular velocity?

The direction of the force vector is perpendicular to the direction of the angular velocity. This means that if an object is rotating counterclockwise, the force vector will be directed towards the center of rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the force vector of an object with angular velocity?

Understanding the force vector of an object with angular velocity is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It can be used to analyze the motion and stability of rotating objects, design machinery and vehicles, and improve athletic performance in activities like gymnastics and figure skating.