Finding the force on a camera window underwater

In summary, the pressure is 8.04x10^7 Pa and the person is not sure how to approach the second half of the question.
yourheartandsoul
Homework Statement
Deep-sea photographs have been made at depths of 8000 m. (a) What is the pressure at this depth? (b) What is the force on the camera win dow if it measures 0.1 by 0.15 m?
Relevant Equations
P = dgh
F= PA
I figured out that the pressure is 8.0442x10^7 Pa and I’m not sure how to approach the second half of the question.

I’m thinking I use the formula F=PA but I’m realizing it’s not saying that .15m is a diameter or a radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a 0.1 m × 0.15 m rectangle.

And what's on the other side of the window ?

:welcome:

kuruman said:
It's a 0.1 m × 0.15 m rectangle.
oh wow I'm on another planet today duh. So i would use the area of a rectangle with the F=PA?

yourheartandsoul said:
oh wow I'm on another planet today duh. So i would use the area of a rectangle with the F=PA?
Not so fast. To paraphrase @BvU, what's on each side of the window?

It is an assumption, but a good one, I think. The inside of the housing will be one atmo of air.

kuruman said:
Not so fast. To paraphrase @BvU, what's on each side of the window?
Water one side and a camera on the other.. lol not too sure what's on the inside of a camera lens. it was for a test so if it was wrong to approach it that way then oh well. I live and learn

DaveC426913 said:
It is an assumption, but a good one, I think. The inside of the housing will be one atmo of air.
Assuming, of course, that the person who assembled the camera didn't work under pressure. (Sorry, I had to say that.)

Last edited:
Likes BvU and yourheartandsoul
BvU said:
And what's on the other side of the window ?
It doesn't specify net force, so my guess is they just want the force from the water side.
If it's 1atm inside then the net force will be just ρgd.
Note also it is seawater, not fresh water.

haruspex said:
It doesn't specify net force, so my guess is they just want the force from the water side.
If it's 1atm inside then the net force will be just ρgd
Fully agree with ##\rho\, g\,\Delta h## -- it's more an awareness thingy

haruspex said:
Note also it is seawater, not fresh water.
With 8.0442x107/9.81/8000 = 1025 that seems to be in perfect order ..

BvU said:
Fully agree with ##\rho\, g\,\Delta h## -- it's more an awareness thingy
Let me be clearer - I think the way it is worded implies 1atm +##\rho\, g\,\Delta h##, not that it will make much difference.

Related to Finding the force on a camera window underwater

What is the force on a camera window underwater?

The force on a camera window underwater is the pressure exerted on the window by the surrounding water. This pressure is caused by the weight of the water above the window and can be calculated using the formula F = P x A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the surface area of the window.

Why is it important to know the force on a camera window underwater?

Knowing the force on a camera window underwater is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps determine the strength and durability of the window, ensuring it can withstand the pressure and not break. Secondly, it can help with the design and construction of underwater cameras, ensuring they are able to capture clear images without distortion from the pressure.

How is the force on a camera window underwater measured?

The force on a camera window underwater can be measured using a pressure gauge or a depth gauge. These instruments can provide accurate readings of the pressure at different depths, allowing for the calculation of the force on the window. Additionally, underwater cameras may also have built-in sensors to measure the force on their windows.

What factors can affect the force on a camera window underwater?

The force on a camera window underwater can be affected by several factors, including the depth of the water, the density of the water, and the size and shape of the window. Additionally, any external forces such as currents or waves can also impact the force on the window.

How can the force on a camera window underwater be reduced?

The force on a camera window underwater can be reduced by using materials that are strong and able to withstand high pressures, such as tempered glass or polycarbonate. Additionally, designing the camera with a smaller window or using a dome-shaped window can also help distribute the force more evenly, reducing the pressure on the window.