Finding the Force of Nucleus on a Single Electron of Plutonium

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about the magnitude of the force from a Plutonium nucleus on a single electron. The equation used is F=kQ/r^2, where k is Coulomb's constant and Q represents the charge. The correct solution is to use the charge of one electron (e) as Q and the charge of all 94 electrons (e) as the other Q in the equation. The conversation also mentions using subscripts and superscripts, as well as learning LaTeX for writing equations.
anomalocaris

Homework Statement

A particular nucleus of the element Plutonium contains 94 protons and 150 neutrons. What is the magnitude of the force from the nucleus on a single electron that is a distance of 0.563x10-12 m from the Plutonium nucleus?

So basically this was a homework question that I got wrong, and I'm not entirely sure what the correct answer is. I'm reworking it to study for an exam, but I want to make sure this is right so I don't keep lousing it up!

Homework Equations

e=1.60x10-19 C
and F=kQ/r2
where k is Coulomb's constant 8.99x109 Nm2/C2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so if there are 94 protons, there should be 94 electrons.
(94)(e)=(94)(1.60x10-19 C)=1.5x10-17 C

Where I'm getting confused is what charge I should use to find the force? Because 1.5x10-17 C is the charge of all 94 electrons and I need the magnitude of the force of the nucleus on just one electron. I'm not quite grasping this concept.

Anyway, if I blindly plug in numbers without really understanding completely what I'm doing here, I get:

F=(k(1.5x10-17 C))/(0.563x10-12 m)2
so F=4.27x1017 N

Also, how do I type fractions on this forum? I found the button but I'm not sure where to enter my numbers so it works! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
anomalocaris said:
and F=kQ/r2
You've left something out of that equation.
Okay so if there are 94 protons, there should be 94 electrons.
The problem asks for the force of the nucleus on a single electron. You can ignore the other 93 electrons.

Okay, so should I have used F=[itex]\frac{(k(q1)(q2))}(r2){}[/itex]? And then I would use e as the charge of one electron (my q2) and the charge of all 94 electrons as my q1? Or am I completely off here? Thank you!

Oh, sorry, the fraction thing still is not working for me. I meant F=(k(q1q2))/(r^2)

anomalocaris said:
Okay, so should I have used F=[itex]\frac{(k(q1)(q2))}(r2){}[/itex]? And then I would use e as the charge of one electron (my q2) and the charge of all 94 electrons as my q1? Or am I completely off here? Thank you!
That's the way to do it.

Oh! Yay! Thank you so much,tms! I really appreciate it!

anomalocaris said:
Oh, sorry, the fraction thing still is not working for me. I meant F=(k(q1q2))/(r^2)
You need to put the denominator in the second set of curly braces: \frac{(k(q1)(q2))}{(r2)}
[tex]F=\frac{(k(q1)(q2))}{(r2)}[/tex]
You should also use subscripts and superscripts, and you can get rid of the extraneous parentheses: F=k\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}
[tex]F=k\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}[/tex]
If you are planning to go further in math or science, it is worth learning LaTeX. You can google for some brief introductions and tutorials.

I tried doing that, but it didn't look right when I previewed it. My browser can be kind of wonky, though, so I'll keep trying. And I've never heard of LaTeX--sounds really cool. I'll definitely google that! Thanks again for all your help!

Related to Finding the Force of Nucleus on a Single Electron of Plutonium

1. What is the force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium?

The force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium is dependent on the atomic number and mass of the element. Plutonium has an atomic number of 94 and a mass number of 244, which means that its nucleus exerts a strong force on its electrons.

2. How is the force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium calculated?

The force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors can affect the force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium?

The force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium can be affected by the distance between the electron and the nucleus, the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, and any external forces acting on the nucleus.

4. Why is it important to study the force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium?

Studying the force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium is important for understanding the behavior and properties of this element, which is used in nuclear power and weapons. It can also provide insights into the structure and stability of other elements with similar properties.

5. How is the force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium related to its radioactivity?

The strong force of the nucleus on a single electron of Plutonium is one of the factors that contribute to its high level of radioactivity. This force can cause the nucleus to break apart or emit particles, making Plutonium a highly unstable and radioactive element.