Finding the force F in order to develop a moment.

In summary, the connected bar BC is used to increase the lever arm of the crescent wrench, with a clockwise moment of 120 N*m needed to tighten the nut at A. By using the equation M=Fd, the required force F can be determined by finding the x length of BC and using the x-y coordinate system. Another method is to find the distance from A to C.
bigu01

Homework Statement

The connected bar BC is used to increase the lever arm of the crescent wrench as shown.If a clockwise moment of Ma=120 N*m is needed to tighten the nut at A and the extension d=300mm, determine the required force F in order to develop this moment.

Homework Equations

M=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

Wrote the x length of BC by multiplying 0.3m*cos30, then took the x-y coordinate system through the AB(for x) and perpendicular to the AB(for y).Tried to find the angle that F makes with the x-y (ABCx), found it as 45, but the result is not correct.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,310
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks ok, so please post the details of your working.

I solved it, found the angle between my x-y then I multiplied Mx and My.When I tried to do it I wasnt adding the My.That's why my result was incorrect.I also found another method by finding the distance from A to C.Thank you for your reply.

Related to Finding the force F in order to develop a moment.

1. What is force F and how is it related to developing a moment?

Force F is a vector quantity that represents the push or pull exerted on an object. In order to develop a moment, force F must act on an object and cause it to rotate around a pivot point.

2. How do you calculate the force F needed to produce a specific moment?

The force F needed to produce a specific moment can be calculated using the equation M = Fd, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

3. Can the direction of force F affect the moment produced?

Yes, the direction of force F can greatly affect the moment produced. If the force is applied perpendicular to the line of action, it will produce the maximum moment. However, if the force is applied at an angle, the moment will be reduced.

4. How does the location of force F affect the moment produced?

The location of force F in relation to the pivot point can greatly affect the moment produced. The farther the force is from the pivot point, the greater the moment will be. This is because the lever arm, or distance between the force and the pivot point, increases.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding force F to develop a moment?

Finding the force F to develop a moment is important in many engineering and physics applications. For example, it is used in designing machines and structures, determining the torque needed for a motor to lift a heavy load, and calculating the forces needed for objects to maintain balance and stability.