Finding the final distance of the dog from the shore

In summary, the dog is 20.0ft from the shore (to the left in Figure (a)). It walks 8.5ft on the boat toward shore and then halts. The boat weighs 40.4lb, and one can assume there is no friction between it and the water. The dog is then 8.5ft from the shore.
NAkid

Homework Statement

A dog, weighing 11.1lb, is standing on a flatboat so that he is 20.0ft from the shore (to the left in Figure (a)). He walks 8.5ft on the boat toward shore and then halts. The boat weighs 40.4lb, and one can assume there is no friction between it and the water. How far is the dog then from the shore?

Homework Equations

x(cm) = (m1x1 + m2x2) / (m1 + m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The center of mass of the system has to be the same before and after the dog moves, so taking the shoreline as the origin and the center of mass of the boat(m1) at 20ft, I said that initially,
x(cm) = [(m1*20) + (m2*20)] / (m1 + m2) -- m2 is the dog

and after the dog moves

x*(cm) = [(20-x)m1) + (11.5-x)m2] / (m1+m2)

where x is the displacement. but I'm pretty sure this isn't right.. help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: Figure out how the center of mass of the "dog + boat" (measured with respect to the edge of the boat) changes as the dog moves. That will tell you how the boat moves.

well as the dog moves to the left closer to shore the center of mass of dog+boat shifts back, right?

Last edited:
NAkid said:
well as the dog moves to the left closer to shore the center of mass of dog+boat shifts back, right?
Here's what I mean: Before the dog moves the center of mass of dog+boat is somewhere, let's say X1 feet from the edge. As the dog moves towards that edge, the center of mass (with respect to the boat edge, not the shore) must shift because the dog's mass shifts. The new center of mass will be X2 feet from the edge. Find X1 - X2.

i'm still a bit confused, but this is what i have:

x(cm,1) = (x1m1 + x2m2)/(m1+m2) --where m1 is the boat and m2 is the dog

x(cm, 2) = [(x1-x2)m1 + (8.5-x2)]/(m1+m2) --the dog is displaced less than 8.5ft because the boat shifts in the opposite direction

NAkid said:
i'm still a bit confused, but this is what i have:

x(cm,1) = (x1m1 + x2m2)/(m1+m2) --where m1 is the boat and m2 is the dog
OK. x1 is the initial distance from dog to edge of boat; x2 is the distance of center of boat to edge of boat; x(cm,1) is the initial distance of the cm of dog+boat to the edge of the boat.

For x(cm, 2), the only thing that changes is the dog's position, since it walks 8.5m closer to the edge of the boat:
x(cm,2) = [(x1-8.5)m1 + x2m2]/(m1+m2)

So figure out how much the cm of dog+boat shifted towards the edge of the boat.

ok, and subtract that from 20 to find the final distance of the dog from the shore?

NAkid said:
ok, and subtract that from 20 to find the final distance of the dog from the shore?
No. For example: If the center of mass shifts one meter closer to the edge, that means that the boat must shift one meter away from the shore. (Since the cm must remain the same distance from the shore.) Which you can then use to figure out how far the dog moved toward the shore.

From what I gave in #6 you can calculate exactly how far the center of mass shifted.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the final distance of the dog from the shore

1. What is the center of mass of a dog?

The center of mass of a dog is the point in the dog's body where all of its mass is evenly distributed, and the body would be perfectly balanced if it were suspended at that point.

2. How is the center of mass of a dog calculated?

The center of mass of a dog is calculated by finding the average position of all of the dog's mass, taking into account the distribution and shape of the body.

3. Why is the center of mass important for dogs?

The center of mass is important for dogs because it affects their stability and balance. If a dog's center of mass is shifted too far from its base of support, it may struggle to maintain its balance and may be more prone to falling or stumbling.

4. How does a dog's center of mass change as it moves?

A dog's center of mass changes as it moves depending on the position and movement of its body. For example, when a dog is standing still, its center of mass will be closer to the ground, but when it jumps, its center of mass will shift upwards.

5. Can a dog's center of mass be affected by its size or breed?

Yes, a dog's center of mass can be affected by its size and breed. Smaller breeds may have a higher center of mass compared to larger breeds, and different body proportions in different breeds can also impact the position of the center of mass.