Existence: The Only Miracle I Need

• Thread starter wuliheron
  • Start date
In summary, the paradox of existence is an extraordinary, inexplicable, and unparalleled event that we all share as brothers and sisters. It is the one miracle that undeniably makes all others possible. Some may see existence as a struggle, while others may view it as something neutral and uninspiring. Our acquired habits and feelings can distract us from experiencing the miracle of existence, but it is always present and persistent. Ultimately, the process of limiting and reclaiming different contexts and relationships is a personal and unique journey for each individual.
wuliheron
People sometimes ask me where the paradox of existence came from and I tell them I can’t say, but I can say with confidence, “Existence is the only miracle I need.” So extraordinary an event is existence that to call it less than miraculous seems silly to say the least. Miraculous not necessarily in the sense of the supernatural or something wonderful, but at least in the sense that existence is indeed an extraordinary, inexplicable, and unparalleled event in everyone’s life. There may be more miracles waiting out there for each of us, but existence is the only one I absolutely cannot do without, here and now, the one miracle we all share as brothers and sisters, and the one miracle that undeniably makes all others possible.

The miracle is not something I have had to learn or cultivate an appreciation for. I’ve always known it was miraculous and appreciated it in its splendor. As a child the birds in the trees seemed to sing and play with me just for the sake of expressing their joy at the miracle we shared. By adulthood we all learn how to be more serious and deny the miracle, but the child we once were and the miracle both persist nonetheless.

At times it can feel safer for us to think of the paradox of existence as decidedly not miraculous in the sense of wonderful. Some see existence as a bleak struggle they would often rather do without, while others see it as neither wonderful nor bleak, but instead, something neutral and uninspiring. Just as little children quickly learn to avoid touching hot stoves and being ridiculed, we all learn to systematically avoid certain positive and negative associations as a way to protect ourselves from our own feelings which can at times seem to betray us. Inevitably words such as “miraculous”, “I love you”, “I’m sorry”, “I’m angry”, etc. do not come so easy for most of us, any more than deliberately touching a hot stove or inviting scorn and derision does.

Like anything else that can present specific context by limiting other contexts, our acquired habits and the contrived feelings that accompany them distract and inhibit us from allowing ourselves to experience the miracle of existence as it presents itself to us anew from one moment to the next and one context to the next. We may lament the loss, but we continue to use our protective habits nonetheless until persuaded otherwise.

Both the process of limiting and reclaiming many of these contexts and relationships can be is as personal and unique for each of us as anything else in our lives. It can be as simple and effortless as taking our next breath or more complex and difficult than rocket science. However, it follows a predictable pattern when it is predictable at all.

When the Way is lost,
There remains harmony;
When harmony is lost, there remains love;
When love is lost, there remains justice;
And when justice is lost, there remains ritual.
Ritual is the end of compassion and honesty,
The beginning of confusion;
Belief is a colorful hope or fear,
The beginning of folly.

Physics news on Phys.org
There may be more miracles waiting out there for each of us, but existence is the only one I absolutely cannot do without

Well, considering that you wouldn't be here without it, I think it goes without saying that it's the only one you can't do without...Nice post though. Did you post this on PF2 as well?

Originally posted by wuliheron
People sometimes ask me where the paradox of existence came from and I tell them I can’t say, but I can say with confidence, “Existence is the only miracle I need.” So extraordinary an event is existence that to call it less than miraculous seems silly to say the least. Miraculous not necessarily in the sense of the supernatural or something wonderful, but at least in the sense that existence is indeed an extraordinary, inexplicable, and unparalleled event in everyone’s life. There may be more miracles waiting out there for each of us, but existence is the only one I absolutely cannot do without, here and now, the one miracle we all share as brothers and sisters, and the one miracle that undeniably makes all others possible.

The miracle is not something I have had to learn or cultivate an appreciation for. I’ve always known it was miraculous and appreciated it in its splendor. As a child the birds in the trees seemed to sing and play with me just for the sake of expressing their joy at the miracle we shared. By adulthood we all learn how to be more serious and deny the miracle, but the child we once were and the miracle both persist nonetheless.

At times it can feel safer for us to think of the paradox of existence as decidedly not miraculous in the sense of wonderful. Some see existence as a bleak struggle they would often rather do without, while others see it as neither wonderful nor bleak, but instead, something neutral and uninspiring. Just as little children quickly learn to avoid touching hot stoves and being ridiculed, we all learn to systematically avoid certain positive and negative associations as a way to protect ourselves from our own feelings which can at times seem to betray us. Inevitably words such as “miraculous”, “I love you”, “I’m sorry”, “I’m angry”, etc. do not come so easy for most of us, any more than deliberately touching a hot stove or inviting scorn and derision does.

Like anything else that can present specific context by limiting other contexts, our acquired habits and the contrived feelings that accompany them distract and inhibit us from allowing ourselves to experience the miracle of existence as it presents itself to us anew from one moment to the next and one context to the next. We may lament the loss, but we continue to use our protective habits nonetheless until persuaded otherwise.

Both the process of limiting and reclaiming many of these contexts and relationships can be is as personal and unique for each of us as anything else in our lives. It can be as simple and effortless as taking our next breath or more complex and difficult than rocket science. However, it follows a predictable pattern when it is predictable at all.

When the Way is lost,
There remains harmony;
When harmony is lost, there remains love;
When love is lost, there remains justice;
And when justice is lost, there remains ritual.
Ritual is the end of compassion and honesty,
The beginning of confusion;
Belief is a colorful hope or fear,
The beginning of folly.

*Applauds*. Well put, Wu Li.

The only miracle I need is a week without pain. I'd even believe in reincarnation if I could get a few years pain-free. Maybe I'm paying the price for being something rotten in a previous life. But I'd be prepared to come back next time as a weasel or a goat if I could have a few years of pain-free bliss.

The only miracle I need is a week without pain.

I didn't say existence is the only miracle I want, just the one I absolutely cannot do without. There are countless miracles I would love to see occur and help to achieve, both for myself personally and for all of humanity. Eliminating suffering is certainly high on the list.

The only miracle I need is a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor, but with a deeply serious personal side as well. Being free to laugh at ourselves and the paradoxical situation we all share, as well as taking ourselves and each other seriously is just healthy enlighted self-interest. Having a way to conceptualize and put this into perspective is very grounding.

Virtue is its own reward,
to have a friend you must first be a friend.

R. W. Emerson

You know, I much prefer the use of the word "miracle" to describe existence (as opposed to "paradox"). A "miracle" is inexpiclable and amazing, but it doesn't have the added meaning of being self-contradictory.

Yeah, other people hate the supernatural connotations of the word Miracle more than the idea of existence being inexplicable in some respects. Can't please everybody, but I keep trying believe it or not.

Sorry if it bugs you, but that's the whole point. All of this stuff I've written about the paradox of existence and the only miracle I need is just an attempt to explain shamanistic and Asian thought for the rational western mind which tends to assume a biased rational position on everything. Like the Tao Te Ching, I've written this in such a way as to encourage people to argue with the text.

Eventually you either throw the book across the room, ignore it, or surrender your biases. I've done all that and more with countless versions of the Tao Te Ching. Still, I kept coming back to the book. Just stubborn I guess. :0)

You know, I much prefer the use of the word "miracle" to describe existence (as opposed to "paradox"). A "miracle" is inexpiclable and amazing, but it doesn't have the added meaning of being self-contradictory.

I'm one of them. Using the word miracle to explain our existence is a default stance for a person who believes one all powerfull being created all that there is. You can associate miracle with existence, because in your imagination, there is no paradox, you've already gotten an answer.

Using the word miracle to explain our existence is a default stance for a person who believes one all powerfull being created all that there is. You can associate miracle with existence, because in your imagination, there is no paradox, you've already gotten an answer.

For me, life is both a miracle and a paradox, an inexplicable miracle. I've learned to trust myself to use such words as "miracle" wisely, and just see where they take me. Among other things, it is an affirmation that my own intellect is not the only thing that matters in my life. Feelings and attitudes are every bit as important and, given the right context, even more important.

Existence is one such context. Intellectually it has a great deal of potential as something to explore, but emotionally even more so. In fact, due to the contextual, qualitative, and allegorical nature of the paradox, our emotions become the dominant factor in how we might grow in intellectual understanding of existence. :0)

The truth of God is without, the whole material universe. The Essence of God is within. Whereas the truth is discerned, and the essence is to be experienced. So why do we go to such great lengths to uncover the truth, when we don't partake of the experience which gives birth to it? We seek the truth in "its effect," but we don't seek the Life which leads to it?

The Mystery of Life, is also the mystery of conception and birth.

Is this a rhetorical question? Note, whether or not the question, "Is this a rhetorical question" is rhetorical itself is a mystery I leave for the individual to ponder (hehe).

Truth and essence, birth and death, may be one and the same thing in the final analysis: paradox. What you refer to as partaking of the experience is what most call "surrender" and some call "acceptance".

For many the idea of going somewhere or doing something without having a detailed and justifiable plan and schedule is intimidating to say the least. That inner voice just never shuts up (i.e. chew your food with mouth closed, clean up your room, be good, be nice, do your homework, use your head, etc.) Just relaxing and allowing ourselves to dance and play isn't always easy.

As children we all play make-believe, but at some point we start to call our pretense "reality" and act on it in a different way. The religious and spiritual have their God(s) and Divinities to accept and surrender to, but for all of us it is most profoundly ourselves and the paradox of our existence that we must surrender to and accept. An all powerful and loving creator is easy to accept in comparison. :0)

So does anything ever get past you? I mean what's the deal here?

Not often, but exactly how I do it is a secret. :0)

Well, Wu Li, actually, a Miracle is - by definition - inexplicable. This means that you need not call it a paradoxical miracle, as it is inexplicable as it is.

Miracles aren't necessarilly inexplicable, they can just be rather remarkable and extraodinary. For example, the miracle of the ninteen year old woman recently saved from the Iraqi torturers. Of course, you can argue that this wasn't a genuine miracle, just a stroke of luck, but I'm sure the young woman and her familly would disagree. :0)

You're right, a miracle is basically just an event that is extraordinary. And existence definitely fits this criteria.

BTW, I don't think that this particular miracle (existence) is unexplainable, merely unexplained, but I do agree that it doesn't matter whether it can or cannot be explained - people should stop and marvel at the miracle itself.

I agree, existence might have some kind of rational explanation. But for the life of me I can't begin to imagine what it might be and I can't see how it would matter anyway. As you say, it'd still be a miracle and appreciating and accepting the miracle would still be an important aspect of our humanity. :0)

Originally posted by wuliheron
I agree, existence might have some kind of rational explanation. But for the life of me I can't begin to imagine what it might be and I can't see how it would matter anyway. As you say, it'd still be a miracle and appreciating and accepting the miracle would still be an important aspect of our humanity. :0)

I think the real shame is that a lot of people cannot allow themselves to appreciate the miracle, without first attempting to understand the cause.

Testing my Avatar

If I have a custom Avatar to the left of this posting, that will truly be a MIRACLE.

Originally posted by M. Gaspar
If I have a custom Avatar to the left of this posting, that will truly be a MIRACLE.

But not as great a miracle as that of your existence. Without the latter, the former cannot exist. However, the latter (the miracle of your existence) does not depend on the former (the custom avatar "miracle").

Mentat...

I just slipped into this thread for the purpose of testing my avatar. However, since I'm here...

Does science acknowledge miracles at any level?

If you think my existence is a "miracle", would not the existence of the Universe be one too?

Any thoughts on "synchronicities"...i.e., meaningful cooincidences?

I just slipped into this thread for the purpose of testing my avatar. However, since I'm here...

Does science acknowledge miracles at any level?

If you think my existence is a "miracle", would not the existence of the Universe be one too?

Any thoughts on "synchronicities"...i.e., meaningful cooincidences?

1) Science does acknowledge miracles. In fact, it relies on them. If there were no phenomena that we didn't understand, there would be no science.

2) Yes. Existence, altogether, is a miracle.

3) I think it's a paradoxical (self-contradictory) idea.

Mentat...

Why would CO - INCIDENCES (events that happen together or are somehow tied together) that HAVE MEANING to the person(s) to whom they happen be "self-contradictory"?

Is it because you are reading the word coincidence as happening only "by chance" and therefore, without "meaning"?

What if the Universe is a living, conscious Entity that's responsive to all of Its part. And what if this responsiveness takes the form of having things "show up"?

What if "randomness" is part of the "system" of the Universe, there to be influenced by INTENTION of beings that the Universe has given rise to?

The "problem" may be that we (humans) shrug them off as they occur...we note them with a sort of transitory awe, and then move on.

I challenge you to PAY ATTENTION over the next few days to see if any events (however small) might qualify as a "meaninful co-incidence".

Then think, if this were a natural process of the Universe, how might it be USEFUL?

Remember: This point of view is like a sweater: you can try it on for awhile, and if you don't like it for any reason, you can take it off! (I'll tell you in advance: it's sort of itchy.)

Why would CO - INCIDENCES (events that happen together or are somehow tied together) that HAVE MEANING to the person(s) to whom they happen be "self-contradictory"?

Is it because you are reading the word coincidence as happening only "by chance" and therefore, without "meaning"?

What if the Universe is a living, conscious Entity that's responsive to all of Its part. And what if this responsiveness takes the form of having things "show up"?

What if "randomness" is part of the "system" of the Universe, there to be influenced by INTENTION of beings that the Universe has given rise to?

The "problem" may be that we (humans) shrug them off as they occur...we note them with a sort of transitory awe, and then move on.

I challenge you to PAY ATTENTION over the next few days to see if any events (however small) might qualify as a "meaninful co-incidence".

Then think, if this were a natural process of the Universe, how might it be USEFUL?

Remember: This point of view is like a sweater: you can try it on for awhile, and if you don't like it for any reason, you can take it off! (I'll tell you in advance: it's sort of itchy.)

Objection, this is off-topic! :wink:

Seriously, you have wondered off-topic.

However, you are right about my original view of the word "coincidence".

Actually, Wu Li himself brought up the concept of "synchronicities" a few posts back when he spoke of the Iraqi woman saved from torture.

Is it that EXISTENCE as Primary Miracle is the only miracle to be discussed on this thread? If so, I can comply.

I just think it would be an interesting miracle if the Universe is a living, conscious Entity that's repsonsive to all of its parts...and that sychronicities may offer "evidence" of this.

Moreover, the idea that It MAY be an "Entity" that's evolving (and reincarnating) would be a pretty stupendous "miracle of existence" if it were true.

Actually, Wu Li himself brought up the concept of "synchronicities" a few posts back when he spoke of the Iraqi woman saved from torture

Well... I suppose you could interpret that as a synchronicity, but I used it as way to define miracle. Synchronicity has a more complex definition.

Is it that EXISTENCE as Primary Miracle is the only miracle to be discussed on this thread? If so, I can comply.

Pretty much. If we allowed just about any other kind of miracle to be discussed the thread might be moved to the religious forum and might wander off in any direction. Best to keep it to subject at hand. Synchronicity is a bona fide miracle maybe, but more along the lines of all the "minor miracles" I mentioned that the miracle of existence makes possible.

Wu Li

Thus, the existence of the Universe falls within the parameters of this thread? Or, is it only "us" within the Universe that's the miracle?

Of course, I may be wrong (apparently most people think I AM...especially those following current "findings" that has a "Dark Energy" speeding the Universe "outward" to a frigid enternity...

But I still hold that the Universe will collapse...that maybe there will be a "transition phase" in the "Dark Energy" which will convert it to, say, "Dark Matter"...thus enabling the Universe to eventually implode (as I would like!)

How this ties in with this thread is the Primary Miracle of an Entity that goes from lifetime to lifetime through an unending series of "Big Bangs" and "Big Crunches".

This would be the miracle of the EXISTENCE of an Entity that did NOT come from "nothing" but ALWAYS EXISTED in this way.

Doesn't this possible "miracle of existence" appeal to anyone but me?

Meanwhile, I will not DARKEN this thread again with "minor miracles."

Thus, the existence of the Universe falls within the parameters of this thread? Or, is it only "us" within the Universe that's the miracle?

I'm not sure there is a distinction between the two, but those are two extreme possibilities. The specific topic, however, is "The Only Miracle I Need." Do you have one single miracle that is the only miracle you need? The one that makes all others possible?

This would be the miracle of the EXISTENCE of an Entity that did NOT come from "nothing" but ALWAYS EXISTED in this way.

Doesn't this possible "miracle of existence" appeal to anyone but me?

Well... it's interesting but I find a more enigmatic existence and miracle to be even more appealing. A little mystery keeps any relationship fresh and lively. :0)

Wu Li...

That's why I wear bangs...to preserve the mystery of whether I have a third eye.

But on a serious note, while I hate puzzles, I seem to love attempting to unravel the mystery of existence...so I guess the "miracle I can't live without" is my MIND...tho YOUR miracle, of course, trumps mine.

Maybe then the miracle of your mind is indistinguishable from the mystery of existence. No mystery, no mind. :0)

M. Gaspar, by Biological definition, the universe is not alive. Philosophy, however, allows you to make up lose definitions of "alive", and so the universe could very well be alive (philosophically speaking).