Finding the domain and range without a calculator

In summary: The graph has a maximum value for y at \displaystyle y=-\frac{\pi}{4} and a minimum value for y at \displaystyle y=0.
Burjam

Homework Statement

Find the domain and range of the following function without the use of a calculator:

f(x) = sec (pi x/4)

Homework Equations

As far as I know, this problem doesn't specifically require "equations". Therefore I am leaving this section blank. Not because I am a malicious poster that is trying to break the rules and upset the administration here, but simply because I don't know any equations for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried flipping this and finding the cosine of 4pi and graphing it. But I failed to come up with a valid graph and was puzzled. I could take a picture of my "graph", but I don't think anyone could read it. Help would be greatly appreciated here.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what values of x, sec(x) is not defined?

Burjam said:

Homework Statement

Find the domain and range of the following function without the use of a calculator:

f(x) = sec (pi x/4)

Homework Equations

As far as I know, this problem doesn't specifically require "equations". Therefore I am leaving this section blank. Not because I am a malicious poster that is trying to break the rules and upset the administration here, but simply because I don't know any equations for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried flipping this and finding the cosine of 4pi and graphing it. But I failed to come up with a valid graph and was puzzled. I could take a picture of my "graph", but I don't think anyone could read it. Help would be greatly appreciated here.
"I tried flipping this and finding the cosine of 4pi ..."

That won't work.

sec(θ) = 1/(cos(θ)). It's not equal to cos(1/θ), nor 1/(cos(1/θ)).

Consider the graph of [itex]\displaystyle y=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}x\right)\ .[/itex]

Where does this graph have zeros?

What are the maximum & minimum values for y on this graph?

Related to Finding the domain and range without a calculator

1. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for the function. It is the set of x-values that the function can take on.

2. How do you find the domain of a function?

To find the domain of a function, you need to look at the restrictions or limitations on the input values. This could be due to the type of function (e.g. square root functions cannot take negative inputs) or the context of the problem. The domain is typically expressed in interval notation.

3. What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values for the function. It is the set of y-values that the function can produce.

4. How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you need to look at the output values or the y-values that the function can produce. This can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the function, looking at its graph, or using algebraic methods.

5. Can you find the domain and range of a function without a calculator?

Yes, you can find the domain and range of a function without a calculator by analyzing the behavior of the function, looking at its graph, or using algebraic methods. However, a calculator can be helpful in visualizing the graph of the function and checking your work.