Finding the distance of two points from observer

In summary, the distance between point A and point B can be found by taking the square root of the distance between XA and YA.
Tahmeed
Lets suppose that two points A and B are very close together compared to their distance from an observer who is very far. Suppose the distance from observer to point A is DA and to point B is DB. How precisely we can find the distances separately.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tahmeed said:
How precisely we can find the distances separately
Your question isn't clear to me: Aren't the two observations independent ?

BvU said:
Your question isn't clear to me: Aren't the two observations independent ?
There can be aberration.

Can you illustrate what you mean with a sketch ?

BvU said:
Can you illustrate what you mean with a sketch ?
Yes, i will.

Tahmeed said:
Lets suppose that two points A and B are very close together compared to their distance from an observer who is very far. Suppose the distance from observer to point A is DA and to point B is DB. How precisely we can find the distances separately.
I'm sorry, but as written, the scenario seems like a non-sequitur: There isn't anything described that enables determining distance at all and even if there was, it wouldn't make any difference if the two objects were near to each other or not.

Is this question about Halton Arp?

1487182559566-1056983779.jpg

how precisely can we measure the DA and DB here?

Tahmeed, your situation is still unclear. What do points A and B represent? What are the approximate distances you're asking about? The precision and error of our measurements greatly depend on how far away the objects are. Nearby stars are relatively easy to measure, but beyond a few hundred or thousand light years things begin to change since parallax cannot be used. And if you're asking about cosmological distances (greater than a few million light years) then that's a very different scenario indeed...

Are you trying to simply determine the distance between A and B based on known angle of separation between them and known distances? You can know that exactly using pretty basic geometry.

IMG_0220.JPG

I would set DB to be your x axis, then use trig to figure out (XA, YA).
The orange vertical is YA.
The orange horizontal is then XA - DB.
The pink line is found using the Pythagorean theorem.

Likes Tahmeed
if they are a long way away wouldn't you use the small angle approximation?

newjerseyrunner said:
Are you trying to simply determine the distance between A and B based on known angle of separation between them and known distances? You can know that exactly using pretty basic geometry.

View attachment 113274

Yes, its kinda like this, but if the error in measurement of DA and DB is higher than their separation, then will we be able to find outt their actual seperation? so i wanted to know how precisely we can measure DA and DB

No, if you turn those values into variables, then the equation can only be made to provide a range.

Find the values for DB and DA that place them closest together and those that place them furthest apart. That's your range.

newjerseyrunner said:

View attachment 113274

I got my answer here. thanks

Likes newjerseyrunner

Related to Finding the distance of two points from observer

1. How do you find the distance between two points from an observer?

To find the distance between two points from an observer, you can use the distance formula: d = √((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

2. Can you explain the concept of distance in relation to an observer?

Distance in relation to an observer refers to the physical distance between the observer and the two points. It is the length of the straight line connecting the observer to the two points.

3. What units are used to measure the distance between two points from an observer?

The distance between two points from an observer is typically measured in units of length, such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

4. How is the distance between two points from an observer different from the distance between the two points?

The distance between two points from an observer takes into account the position of the observer, while the distance between the two points does not. This means that the distance between two points from an observer may be different depending on where the observer is located.

5. Can you use the distance formula to find the distance between two points from an observer in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the distance formula can also be used to find the distance between two points from an observer in three-dimensional space. The formula remains the same, but with an added z-coordinate for the third dimension: d = √((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 + (z2 - z1)^2).