Finding the distance modulus and the absolute magnitude

In summary, the distance modulus can be found by using the equation M = m + 5 + 5log(pi''). The parallax angle, pi'', is typically given in arcseconds and is directly related to the distance in parsecs. The angle of 1" represents the distance of 1 AU at a distance of 1 parsec. The distance d in parsecs is used in the distance modulus equation. This information may be useful for an introductory astrophysics course.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

If a star has an apparent magnitude of -.4 and a parallax of .3'' what is :
a) the distance modulus
b) the absolute magnitude

Homework Equations

m is the apparent magnitude and M is the absolute magnitude
m-M =5 log d - 5
M= m + 5+5 log(pi''), pi'' is the parallex angle

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find the Absolute magnitude, M, I apply the equation M= m + 5 + 5log(pi'')

I can easily find M since m and pi'' are already given in the problem. The only trouble I'm having is I don't know what units of measurement I'm supposed to convert pi'' to or if I'm suppose to leave pi'' the way it is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the parallax angle, in arcsec, is the reciprocal distance in parsec.
So, (recall abs.Mag.definition) 10 pc means .1" , which has
M = m + 5 + 5*log(.1) , = m like it should.

Benzoate said:
I can easily find M since m and pi'' are already given in the problem. The only trouble I'm having is I don't know what units of measurement I'm supposed to convert pi'' to or if I'm suppose to leave pi'' the way it is.

The parallax angle, [tex]\pi[/tex], is customarily given in arcseconds, but it is the (narrow) triangle involved that makes it clear how to use it. A parallax angle of 1" is the angle subtended by the mean radius of the Earth's orbit (more accurately, the semi-major axis), which is 1 AU, at a distance of 1 parsec. This automatically defines the parsec in terms of astronomical units (it also explains the name of the unit...).

What you'd want to think about it how that angle changes for other distances. You then have a simple relation between the stellar distance, d, in parsecs, and the parallax angle in arcseconds. The angle [tex]\pi[/tex] is often used interchangeably with the distance. The distance d in parsecs is what goes into your distance modulus equation (the modulus (M-m) is also used by some astronomers interchangeably with distance).

Noting many of the threads you've started lately, you wouldn't happen to be in an introductory astrophysics course, would you?

Related to Finding the distance modulus and the absolute magnitude

What is the distance modulus?

The distance modulus is a measure of the difference between the apparent magnitude (how bright an object appears from Earth) and the absolute magnitude (how bright an object would appear if it were located at a standard distance of 10 parsecs or 32.6 light years).

How is the distance modulus calculated?

The distance modulus is calculated using the formula m - M = 5log(d/10), where m is the apparent magnitude, M is the absolute magnitude, and d is the distance to the object in parsecs.

Why is the distance modulus important in astronomy?

The distance modulus is important because it allows astronomers to accurately determine the distances to objects in space. This is crucial for understanding the size, structure, and evolution of the universe.

What is the absolute magnitude?

The absolute magnitude is a measure of the intrinsic brightness of an object, meaning how bright it would appear if it were located at a standard distance of 10 parsecs. It is often used to compare the true brightness of different celestial objects.

Can the distance modulus and absolute magnitude be used for all types of objects in space?

Yes, the distance modulus and absolute magnitude can be used for all types of objects in space, including stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies. However, the calculations may vary depending on the properties of the object being studied.