Finding the displacement under a curve.

The rectangle should have a height of 0 since it is multiplied by the width (7 - 0 = 7). The trapezoid should have a height of (v = -380) - (v = 0) = -380 and the width of (t = 7) - (t = 0) = 7. The triangle should have a base of (t = 7) - (t = 1.5) = 5.5 and a height of (v = 280) - (v = 0) = 280. Adding these areas together gives a displacement of -1815. In summary, the displacement between t = 0 s and t = 7 s is
kimberley511
GIV-Q-009_0010_-002-large.png

1. What is the displacement between t= 0 s and t= 7 s?The "area' under the curve, between the two times is the displacement. The "area" is the area enclosed by the curve and the time axis (v=0 line). Those parts of the curve with negative velocity contribute negative area and those with positive velocity contribute positive area.
Between t=0 s and 7 s,

Δx =

Homework Equations

Area of Rectangle: (l*w)
Area of Trapezoid: (1/2 b (h1+h2))
Area of Triangle: (1/2bh)
3. Rectangle: 1.5(-380)= -570
Trapezoid:1/2*3*(-380+-280)=-825
Triangle: 1/2*1.5*280=-420

delta x = -(570+825+420)= -1815 ...this was my attempt and it was wrong. I don't know what I am doing wrong please help

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you elaborate on how you got your answer for delta x?

I used the points for t-0 and t-7 and came up with the three shapes on the graph..(the rectangle the trapezoid and the triangle) and then solved for their area under the curve and then combined.

I don't have a scanner to post the graph that I drew the shapes on.

You should be calculating the area between the curve and the horizontal axis where
v = 0.

I would first clarify what type of curve we are dealing with. Is it a position vs. time curve or a velocity vs. time curve? This information is crucial in determining the displacement.

If it is a position vs. time curve, then the displacement can be found by calculating the area under the curve between t=0 s and t=7 s. This can be done by breaking the area into smaller shapes, such as rectangles, trapezoids, and triangles, and then adding the areas together.

If it is a velocity vs. time curve, then the displacement can be found by calculating the area between the curve and the time axis. This area represents the change in position over time, or displacement. Again, this can be done by breaking the area into smaller shapes and adding them together.

In this case, since the given values are negative, it is important to pay attention to the signs of the areas. A negative area would contribute to a negative displacement and a positive area would contribute to a positive displacement.

Without further information about the curve, I cannot provide a specific solution. However, I would recommend breaking the area into smaller shapes and carefully considering the signs of each area to correctly calculate the displacement.

Related to Finding the displacement under a curve.

1. What is displacement under a curve?

Displacement under a curve refers to the distance between the starting point and the ending point of an object's motion, as measured along a curved path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the object's motion.

2. How is displacement under a curve calculated?

Displacement under a curve can be calculated using integral calculus. The area under the curve on a position vs. time graph represents the object's displacement. By finding the integral of the curve, the displacement can be determined.

3. Can displacement under a curve be negative?

Yes, displacement under a curve can be negative. This occurs when the object's motion is in the opposite direction from its starting point. A negative displacement indicates that the object has moved backwards along the curved path.

4. What is the difference between displacement under a curve and distance under a curve?

The main difference is that displacement under a curve takes into account the direction of the object's motion, while distance under a curve does not. Distance under a curve only measures the total distance traveled by an object, regardless of direction.

5. What are the practical applications of calculating displacement under a curve?

Calculating displacement under a curve is useful in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to determine the total distance traveled by an object, the position of an object at a specific time, and the work done by a force on an object.