Finding the Direction of a Puck's Velocity on an Air Hockey Table

• Thread starter mac227
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a puck moving on an air hockey table and finding the magnitude and direction of its velocity at a specific time. The given initial velocities and accelerations in the x and y directions are v0x = +3.3 m/s, ax = +4.5 m/s2, v0y = +6.4 m/s, and ay = -3.2 m/s2. The problem also provides the time t = 0.50 s and asks for the direction of the velocity relative to the +x axis. The attempt at a solution suggests using the formula vy/vx = tanθ to find the direction, but the correct magnitude of 7.2 m/s is
mac227

Homework Statement

A puck is moving on an air hockey table. Relative to an x, y coordinate system at time t = 0 s, the x components of the puck's initial velocity and acceleration are v0x = +3.3 m/s and ax = +4.5 m/s2. The y components of the puck's initial velocity and acceleration are v0y = +6.4 m/s and ay = -3.2 m/s2. Find (a) the magnitude v and (b) the direction θ of the puck's velocity at a time of t = 0.50 s. Specify the direction relative to the +x axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the magnetude v is 7.2 m/s but I cannot find the direction. When i plug into formulas none of my answers are correct: initial y velocity= (7.2) sin θ

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mac227! welcome to pf! :smile:
mac227 said:
the magnetude v is 7.2 m/s but I cannot find the direction.

i don't get 7.2 :redface:

in future, please show your full calculations …

then we can see where you've gone wrong :wink:
initial y velocity= (7.2) sin θ
initial? :confused:

and why not use vy/vx = tanθ ?

Related to Finding the Direction of a Puck's Velocity on an Air Hockey Table

1. What is magnetude?

Magnetude is the measure of the strength of a magnet, typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. What is direction in terms of magnets?

Direction refers to the orientation or alignment of a magnet's poles, which can be either north or south.

3. How does magnetude affect the strength of a magnet?

The higher the magnetude, the stronger the magnet's magnetic field and the greater its ability to attract or repel other magnets.

4. Can the direction of a magnet be changed?

Yes, the direction of a magnet can be changed by exposing it to an external magnetic field or by heating it to its Curie temperature.

5. Why is understanding magnetude and direction important?

Understanding magnetude and direction is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine. It allows us to harness the power of magnets for practical applications such as MRI machines, motors, and generators.