Finding the Density of a given object

In summary, to find the density of the Earth in kg/m^3, we use the equation D=M/V where M is the mass and V is the volume. The mass of the Earth is 6x10e+24kg and its radius is 4000 miles (1.61km = 1mile). Converting the radius to km, we get 6400km. Plugging this into the volume equation (V=4/3pi(r)^3), we get a volume of approximately 1x10e+12 km^3. Convert this to m^3 by multiplying by 1x10e+9, giving us a volume of approximately 1x10e+21 m^3.
iJpawn
The density of an object equals its mass divided by its volume. The mass of Earth is 6x10e+24 and its radius is 4000 miles (1.61km = 1mile). What is the density of the Earth in kg/m^3?V=4/3pi(r)^3. D=M/VConverting 4000 to Km, I get 6400. After plugging it into the Volume equation, I end up with approximately 1x10e+12. I divide 6x10e+24 by 1x10e+12, and my result is 6x10e^12. Is this the correct way to do the given problem? My answer sheet from my professor does not state this as any of the answers, and I can't think of any other way to approach this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer should be in kg/m^3.

iJpawn said:
The density of an object equals its mass divided by its volume. The mass of Earth is 6x10e+24 and its radius is 4000 miles (1.61km = 1mile). What is the density of the Earth in kg/m^3?V=4/3pi(r)^3. D=M/VConverting 4000 to Km, I get 6400. After plugging it into the Volume equation, I end up with approximately 1x10e+12. I divide 6x10e+24 by 1x10e+12, and my result is 6x10e^12. Is this the correct way to do the given problem? My answer sheet from my professor does not state this as any of the answers, and I can't think of any other way to approach this equation.
Your calculation is hard to follw if you do not state the units at every point. The answer is much too high.
I suspect you erred in converting cu km to cu m.
What units are the given mass in?

The mass of Earth is given in 6x10e+24kg, sorry for not posting it earlier!

iJpawn said:
The mass of Earth is given in 6x10e+24kg, sorry for not posting it earlier!
Ok, but repost your calculation showing units at every step. Omit no steps.

Related to Finding the Density of a given object

What is density and why is it important?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of an object. It is important because it can help identify and differentiate between different materials and substances.

What is the formula for finding the density of an object?

The formula for density is mass divided by volume (D=m/v). This means that to find the density of an object, you would need to know the mass and volume of the object.

How do you measure the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be measured using a scale or balance. The object is placed on the scale and the mass is displayed in units of grams or kilograms.

How do you measure the volume of an object?

The volume of an object can be measured using various methods such as displacement, water displacement, or geometric calculations. The method used depends on the shape and size of the object.

Why is it important to use the correct units when calculating density?

Density is a derived unit, meaning it is calculated using other units such as mass (grams) and volume (cubic centimeters). Using the incorrect units can result in an incorrect density value. It is important to use the correct units to ensure accurate calculations and comparisons between different objects.