Finding the de Broglie wavelength from momentum

In summary, the de Broglie wavelength of a neutron traveling with a momentum equal to 300 MeV/c is approximately 4.133x10^-15 m. There is some confusion about the conversion of MeV/c to SI units, but it is not necessary to divide by the speed of light as it is already factored into the unit notation.
Matty R

Homework Statement

What is the de Broglie wavelength of a neutron traveling with a momentum equal to [tex]300 \frac{\text{MeV}}{\text{c}}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]p = \frac{300 \cdot \left( \left(1\times10^6 \right) \times \left(1.602\times10^{-19} \right) \right)}{2.998\times10^8}[/tex]

[tex]= 1.603\times10^{-19} \text{ kgms}^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\lamda = \frac{6.626\times10^{-34}}{1.603\times10^{-19}}[/tex]

[tex]= 4.133\times10^{-15} \text{ m}[/tex]

That's what I get, but the answer is given as 1.38x10^{-23}m.

By inserting this given answer into the equation, I get a value of 4.801x10^{-11} for p, which I can only get by the following:

[tex]300 \frac{\text{MeV}}{\text{c}} = 300 \cdot \left( \left( 1\times10^6 \right) \times \left(1.602\times10^{-19} \right) \right)[/tex]

which ignores the c.

Is the given answer wrong, or am I missing something important?

This doesn't make any sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The unit MeV/c is actually a unit of momentum...no need to divide by the speed of light, it is already factored in through the use of this unit notation.

Generically, energy units consist of the quantities (mass)(length)2 / (time)2. If you were to divide energy by speed, you would be left with (mass)(length)/(time) which is a momentum unit.

1 MeV/c ≈ 5.344285×10-22 kg·m/s

So, 300 MeV/c ≈ 1.603×10-19 kg·m/s as you calculated.

Thanks for the replies. :smile:

Sorry. I'm still a bit confused.

To convert MeV/c to SI Units, do I just multiply the number (ie: 300) by "M" multiplied by "eV"?

I thought I was supposed to work it out as SammyS did, but doing that gives a different answer to the solutions.

EDIT

Galileo's Ghost said:
The unit MeV/c is actually a unit of momentum...no need to divide by the speed of light, it is already factored in through the use of this unit notation.

Generically, energy units consist of the quantities (mass)(length)2 / (time)2. If you were to divide energy by speed, you would be left with (mass)(length)/(time) which is a momentum unit.

Okay. MeV is a measurement of energy, units kgm^{2}s^{-2}. Dividing by speed (ms^{-1}) gives kgm^{-1}, which is momentum in SI units. So won't I need to divide my energy by speed, as you said?

Last edited:
The de Broglie wavelength is calculated by dividing Planck's constant by the momentum, which is given in units of kgms^-1. The given answer of 1.38x10^-23m is not in the same units as the de Broglie wavelength, which is meters. It appears that the given answer is actually the de Broglie wavelength, but in units of MeV/c. This is incorrect and should be clarified.

To calculate the de Broglie wavelength correctly, the momentum must be in units of kgms^-1. In this case, the momentum is given in MeV/c, so it must be converted to kgms^-1 by multiplying it by the conversion factor of 1.602x10^-19. This gives a momentum of 4.806x10^-11 kgms^-1, which results in a de Broglie wavelength of 1.38x10^-23m. Therefore, the given answer is incorrect and the correct de Broglie wavelength should be 1.38x10^-23m.

Related to Finding the de Broglie wavelength from momentum

1. What is the de Broglie wavelength and why is it important in physics?

The de Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of matter. It is important because it helps us understand the dual nature of particles, which can behave as both waves and particles.

2. How is momentum related to the de Broglie wavelength?

The de Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the momentum of a particle. This means that as the momentum of a particle increases, its de Broglie wavelength decreases.

3. What is the formula for calculating the de Broglie wavelength from momentum?

The formula for calculating the de Broglie wavelength is: λ = h/p, where λ is the de Broglie wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle.

4. Can the de Broglie wavelength be measured experimentally?

Yes, the de Broglie wavelength has been measured experimentally through various experiments such as electron diffraction and neutron interferometry.

5. How does the de Broglie wavelength relate to the uncertainty principle?

The de Broglie wavelength is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot both be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. This is because the de Broglie wavelength represents the uncertainty in the position of a particle due to its wave-like nature.