Finding the Components of a Vector in the Third Quadrant

In summary, the x and y components of a vector a in the xy plane with a direction of 210 degrees counterclockwise from the positive direction of the x-axis and a magnitude of 14 m are -12.1 and -7.0, respectively. The negatives for both components are due to the vector being in the third quadrant. The cosine and sine functions were used to calculate the x and y components.
jpd5184

Homework Statement

what are the x and y components of a vector a in the xy plane if its direction is 210(degrees) counterclockwise from the positive direction of the x-axis and its magnitude is 14 m.

Homework Equations

vector is in the third quadrant with an angle of 30(degrees)

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the angle to be 30(degrees) so i just did

14sin30 for the x component = 7.0
14cos30 for the y component = 12.1

should they both be negative since there in the third quadrant or do the negatives cancel to get a positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Negatives cancel only when you multiply them. Since you aren't multiplying here, both parts are negative.

would my answers be correct then

x = -7.0

y= -12.1

That seems right, yes.

Although, if significant figures were important, the y component might have to be rounded... I'm not sure how important they are here.

14.cos 30=x . if it is 30 degree to x (210), x have to be bigger than y. (to correct)

well if its 210(degrees) counterclockwise then wouldn't the angle be 30(degrees) sin 210-180 = 30 degrees

mechmech said:
14.cos 30=x . if it is 30 degree to x (210), x have to be bigger than y. (to correct)

why would x be cos and not y. if the vector is in the third quadrant and cos is adjacent/hypotenuse then adjacent would be x so the only side left would be y which you would be solving for.

anybody please

jpd5184 said:
why would x be cos and not y. if the vector is in the third quadrant and cos is adjacent/hypotenuse then adjacent would be x so the only side left would be y which you would be solving for.

I'm not sure what you mean...

If you mean that the x component should correspond to the cosine, this is because the cosine of the angle measures the length of the adjacent side to the angle, in this case, the x-axis.

ok i got it thanks.

14cos30 = -12.1 x-component
14sin30 = -7.0 y-component

Related to Finding the Components of a Vector in the Third Quadrant

1. What is a vector and what are its components?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. Its components are the individual parts of the vector that indicate its magnitude and direction along a certain axis.

2. How do you find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you can use trigonometry to break the vector into its horizontal and vertical components. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric ratios to calculate the magnitude and direction of the vector.

3. Can a vector have more than two components?

Yes, a vector can have any number of components, depending on the number of dimensions in the space it is being represented in. For example, a vector in three-dimensional space would have three components.

4. How are the components of a vector represented mathematically?

The components of a vector are typically represented using either a column vector or a row vector. In a column vector, the components are listed vertically, while in a row vector, the components are listed horizontally. Both representations can be written using either coordinates (x, y, z) or using unit vectors (i, j, k) to indicate the direction of each component.

5. What is the significance of the components of a vector?

The components of a vector provide important information about the magnitude and direction of the vector. They can also be used to perform calculations and solve problems involving vectors, such as finding the resultant of multiple vectors or determining the angle between two vectors.