Finding the Coefficient of Static Friction

In summary, the block on the table just barely starts to slide when a mass of 15.5 kg is attached to the dangling wire. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the table is 9.8 m/s^2.
Snape1830
1. A wooden block of mass 29.0 kg sits on a horizontal table. A wire of negligible mass is attached to the right side of the block and goes over a pulley (also of negligible mass and frictionless), where it is allowed to dangle vertically. When a mass of 15.5 kg is attached to the dangling wire, the block on the table just barely starts to slide. What is the coefficient of static friction between the block and the table?

mass of block=29 kg
second mass = 15.5 kg
g=9.8 m/s^2
mus=?

Do I know my acceleration?

I honestly have no where to start. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
start with a free body diagram of the block on the table, give us the forces acting on the block.

Snape1830 said:
Do I know my acceleration?
Acceleration is zero, since the blocks barely start to move.

But you do know the force that is causing this 'almost' movement.

Pythagorean said:
start with a free body diagram of the block on the table, give us the forces acting on the block.

I don't really know how to draw a free body diagram (on the computer), but I know Ff, FN, gravity, and applied force and/or tension. Not quite sure about the last one. I just have no idea what equations to use.

NascentOxygen said:
Acceleration is zero, since the blocks barely start to move.

But you do know the force that is causing this 'almost' movement.

Gravity?

Gravity acting on the dangling block gives rise to the force I have in mind.

Gravity is usually thought of as an acceleration, rather than a force, pe se, as it has units of m/sec^2.

Perhaps you meant to write "weight"?

Last edited:
The two blocks are tied together, to effectively form one body of their combined masses, so they will accelerate together as one. This body is acted on by a force that tends to move it, but is opposed by friction.

NascentOxygen said:
The two blocks are tied together, to effectively form one body of their combined masses, so they will accelerate together as one. This body is acted on by a force that tends to move it, but is opposed by friction.

yes; since it's not moving, you essentially have that the force on the left equals the force on the right. (friction vs. gravity).

Do you know the equations for each?

Pythagorean said:
yes; since it's not moving, you essentially have that the force on the left equals the force on the right. (friction vs. gravity).

Do you know the equations for each?

Well the Fg=m*g and Ff=mu(Fn)

And what is Fn?

Pythagorean said:
And what is Fn?

Fn=m*a
But do I need to subtract something from Fn? I tried to find Fg and then I took Fn and subtracted Fg from it: Fn-Fg=ma (which equals 0)

And I calculated Fg to be 151.9 N

there are two masses...

Pythagorean said:
there are two masses...

Oh right...so I would need to add 15.5+29 and then multiply
By g or a depending on the equation?

Pythagorean said:
there are two masses...
The thing I'm really confused about is the net force. I know that with the net force you have to take all of the forces into account. I just don't get what I subtract from what. Fn-Fg=ma to get Fn?
Fn-Fapp=ma to get Fapp?
Fapp-Ff=ma to get Ff?
I don't know what order, if there is an order. Because I think I tried it in this order and I got that Fg, Fn, and Fapp were all equal to 436.1 N (in whichever direction).

Snape1830 said:
Fn=m*a
In addition to writing a formula, you need to also explain (in words and numbers) what these variables are. No one can confirm whether you are on the right track, otherwise. (What is m? What is a?)

Draw a diagram, and mark on it all the forces. This problem is one of the easier type; easier in the sense that every force you need to consider is acting either perfectly vertically, or perfectly horizontally, so no trigonometry is involved.

NascentOxygen said:
In addition to writing a formula, you need to also explain (in words and numbers) what these variables are. No one can confirm whether you are on the right track, otherwise. (What is m? What is a?)

Draw a diagram, and mark on it all the forces. This problem is one of the easier type; easier in the sense that every force you need to consider is acting either perfectly vertically, or perfectly horizontally, so no trigonometry is involved.

I figured it out! I have no idea how I did, but it became so clear there were two forces due to gravity (or weights). Thank you so so so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Related to Finding the Coefficient of Static Friction

What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the force required to overcome the resistance between two surfaces in contact and prevent them from moving relative to each other. It is denoted by the symbol "μs" and is typically a dimensionless quantity.

How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface at a constant velocity. The ratio of this force to the normal force between the two surfaces is equal to the coefficient of static friction.

What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pressing the two surfaces together. It also depends on the type of material and the presence of any lubricants or surface treatments.

Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important in determining the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move. It is crucial in designing structures and machines to ensure they can withstand the necessary forces without slipping or sliding.

How is the coefficient of static friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of static friction is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing car tires for optimal grip on the road, determining the frictional force needed to push an object up a ramp, and calculating the maximum weight a person can safely carry without slipping on a surface.