Finding the Centroid of the surface of a hemisphere

In summary, the question asks for the coordinates of the centroid of a hemisphere with radius r, with respect to its base. The surface area of the hemisphere is given by A=2\pi r^{2}, and the coordinates of the centroid are (\overline{X}, \overline{Y}, \overline{Z}). To solve for the coordinates, the circular elements of the hemisphere are found using r_{el}=\sqrt{r^{2}-y^{2}}, and the integral \overline{Y}( 2\pi r^2) = \int^{r}_{0} y 2 \pi \sqrt{r^2-y^2} dy is used. However, another method to
Darragh
Hi gang, I was given this question, but I can't quite seem to get it all the way...
1.Determine the coordinates of the centroid of the surface of a
hemisphere, the radius of which is r, with respect to its base.

Homework Equations

A=2[itex]\pi r^{2}[/itex]
A: Surface Area of the Hemisphere.

Coordinates of the centroid: ([itex]\overline{X}, \overline{Y}, \overline{Z}[/itex])

[itex]\overline{Y}A = \int ydA[/itex]

I set up the coordinate system so [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] = 0 and [itex]\overline{Z}[/itex] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the circular elements of the hemisphere

r[itex]_{el}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{r^{2}-y^{2}}[/itex]
r[itex]_{el}[/itex]: Radius of the element

dA=2[itex]\pi\sqrt{r^{2}-y^{2}}[/itex]dy

Then I used [itex]\overline{Y}( 2\pi r^2) = \int^{r}_{0} y 2 \pi \sqrt{r^2-y^2} dy[/itex]
but I'm pretty sure this is wrong, any ideas or pointers? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a sneaky, roundabout way to this:

1. Compute the work needed to assemble the hemisphere from elements of mass dm. The hemisphere when finished sits on its flat base. An element of mass dm is attracted to the Earth center by a force g*dm, and work to put it in place = gy*dm where y is height above ground for the element dm.

2. Then the centroid must be at height h such that Mgh = total work needed to assemble the hemisphere, where M = mass of entire hemisphere.

Even if you don't want to submit the answer this way, you can double-check your result by this relatively easy integration.

Related to Finding the Centroid of the surface of a hemisphere

1. What is the centroid of the surface of a hemisphere?

The centroid of the surface of a hemisphere is the point at which the hemisphere would balance if it were placed on a pin.

2. How is the centroid of a hemisphere calculated?

The centroid of a hemisphere can be calculated by finding the average of all the points on the surface of the hemisphere. This can be done using integration or by using geometric formulas.

3. Why is finding the centroid of a hemisphere important?

Finding the centroid of a hemisphere can be useful in various engineering and physics applications, such as determining the center of mass or the point of equilibrium for a hemisphere-shaped object.

4. How does the radius of the hemisphere affect its centroid?

The radius of a hemisphere directly affects the location of its centroid. A larger radius will result in a centroid that is further from the base of the hemisphere, while a smaller radius will result in a centroid that is closer to the base.

5. Can the centroid of a hemisphere be outside of the hemisphere?

No, the centroid of a hemisphere will always be located on the surface of the hemisphere. This is because the centroid is determined by the distribution of mass on the surface, which cannot extend beyond the surface itself.