Finding the center of mass of a system

In summary, you are trying to solve an equation for the center of mass of a system that consists of a wooden stick and a stone with a center of mass at (m1(0)+m1(80))/2m1 and (m2(80)+m2(98))/2m2. However, online homework says this value is wrong. You might also be struggling because you are trying to solve for the center of mass of the system using only two equations, when in reality you would need to include the mass of the head on the stick.
jb007

Homework Statement

[/B]
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with this problem:
An old club-ax consists of a symmetrical 8.3 kg stone attached to the end of a uniform 2.9 kg stick. The stick is 98 cm long, and the 18 cm long stone is drilled through its center and mounted on one end of the stick. How far is the center of mass of the club-ax from the handle end of the club-ax?

Homework Equations

XCM = (m1x1+m2x2)/m1+m2[/B]
This is the only equation I need to use, I believe.

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I have tried is as follows:
I set up a coordinate axis so that the origin is at the handle end of the club.
So by using the equation and the x-axis, the center of mass of the wooden stick part would be at (m1(0)+m1(80))/2m1
The m1's cancel, leaving me with the CM at point (40,0). The m1's are just points I imagined that lie on the tips of the stick, with equal masses because the stick is uniform. Then I just used the equation.

For the stone, I did a similar thing, except I changed the x-coordinates:
(m2(80)+m2(98))/2m2
This gave me the center of mass of the stone to be at point (89,0).

Combining these two equations, I get:
(m1(0)+m1(80)+m2(80)+m298)/2m1+2m2

So m1 = 2.9
and m2 = 8.3

Plugging in and solving, I get 76.3125 as the x-coordinate of the center of mass of the system. Since my coordinate origin is at the tip of the handle, that means the center of mass is 76.3125 cm from the tip, right?

But the online homework says this value it is wrong. I also tried to put m1 in terms of m2 and vice versa, but those values I get are also wrong. (I have to round numbers when I do this though.)

What am I doing wrong? Any comments would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
jb007 said:
the center of mass of the wooden stick part would be at (m1(0)+m1(80))/2m1
The stick is 98cm long. Why subtract the length of the stone?

Haruspex has pointed out the problem that you are having.

You also seem to be over complicating the equation. You already calculated the COM of the two individual components, so you can just use the following with the equation you originally wrote:

m1 = 2.9
m2 = 8.3
x1 = ??
x2 = 89

Then plug into:
XCM = (m1x1+m2x2)/m1+m2

I have an additional concern:
The m1's are just points I imagined that lie on the tips of the stick, with equal masses because the stick is uniform. Then I just used the equation.
... or you could just look at the stick and use your understanding of what "center of mass" means.
i.e. if you had to pick it up (just the stick) where should you grab it?

These exercises are supposed to reward understanding the subject - so if you just apply equations and formulae you will be at a disadvantage.

Ooooh. That's an embarrassing mistake. I knew where the center of mass would be, because the stick is uniform. But I thought you were supposed to subtract the overlapping length. Thanks all.

If you subtract the overlapping length, then you have to include that mass with the mass of the head or something.
Don't worry, everyone makes these mistakes sometime.

Related to Finding the center of mass of a system

What is the center of mass of a system?

The center of mass of a system is a point that represents the average location of the mass of the entire system. It is the point at which the system can be balanced and is affected by the distribution of mass within the system.

Why is finding the center of mass important?

Finding the center of mass is important because it helps us understand how a system will behave when subjected to external forces. It also helps in determining the stability and equilibrium of a system.

How is the center of mass of a system calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in the system. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a chosen reference point and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the system.

Can the center of mass be outside the physical boundaries of a system?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside the physical boundaries of a system if the mass is unevenly distributed. This is common in irregularly shaped objects or systems with varying densities.

How does the center of mass affect the motion of a system?

The motion of a system is affected by the center of mass because it is the point at which external forces act on the system. This means that if the center of mass is not moving, the entire system will remain at rest, and if it is moving, the system will move in the same direction and speed as the center of mass.