Finding the Center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$: Exploring the Possibilities

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary: E_{k,j}$, where $j\neq k$, we'll get a matrix where (among other things) the $j,j$ entry is $0$.So the two matrices can't be the same.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of the general linear group over real numbers, $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$. It is shown that the only matrix that commutes with all elements of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ is the identity matrix. The concept of elementary matrices is introduced and it is suggested to show that any matrix that commutes with all of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ must be diagonal. The conversation ends with a
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find the center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$.

$Z(GL_n(\mathbb{R}))=\{ c \in GL_n(\mathbb{R}): cg=gc \forall g \in GL_n(\mathbb{R}) \}$

I have thought the following.

Let $c \in GL_n(\mathbb{R})$. Then there is a $b \in GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ such that $cb=I$ where $I$ is the $n \times n$ identity matrix.
Then it also holds that $bc=I$ and so $cb=bc$.

But in this case the equality holds only for one $g$.

It would hold for all $g$ if we would consider as $c$ the identity matrix.

Is there also an other matrix that commutes with every other matrix? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is, in fact infinitely many.

For example, $kI$ commutes with any matrix, for any $k \in \Bbb R$.

I suggest doing the following-

1st, show that any matrix that commutes with all of $GL_n(\Bbb R)$ must be diagonal (that is, for any matrix that has a non-zero off-diagonal element, find a matrix it DOESN"T commute with-I would try one of the elementary matrices $E_{i,j}$ for a "wise" choice of $i$ and $j$).

2nd, show that if a diagonal matrix has two unequal diagonal elements, there is ALSO a matrix it doesn't commute with.

Deveno said:
1st, show that any matrix that commutes with all of $GL_n(\Bbb R)$ must be diagonal (that is, for any matrix that has a non-zero off-diagonal element, find a matrix it DOESN"T commute with-I would try one of the elementary matrices $E_{i,j}$ for a "wise" choice of $i$ and $j$).

I haven't heard of elementary matrices yet, but I found the following in wikipedia:View attachment 5280

Can we use this one?

Attachments

• el.JPG
    el.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 58
The elementary matrix $E_{i,j}$ is the $n \times n$ matrix that has a $1$ as the $ij$-th entry and $0$'s everywhere else. For example in $GL_3(\Bbb R)$ the matrix $E_{1,3}$ is:

$E_{1,3} = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&1\\0&0&0\\0&0&0\end{bmatrix}$

These matrices behave differently (typically) when used on the left versus the right.

So you mean that we should pick a matrix that has a non-zero off-diagonal element and multiply by $E_{ij}$ and then multiply $E_{ij}$ by the above matrix?

Or do we choose $E_{ij}$ to be the matrix that has a non-zero off-diagonal element?

Let's say a matrix $A$ has an off-diagonal element $a_{ij} \neq 0$.

Since $a_{ij}$ is off-diagonal we know $i \neq j$. This will be useful.

Now let's consider what (in general) right-multiplication by $E_{i,j}$ does.

Clearly, $E_{i,j}$ sends the $k$-th column of $A = (a_{ij})$ to a 0-column if $k \neq i$.

And $E_{i,j}$ sends the $i$-th column to the $j$-th column in the product $AE_{i,j}$.

so let's use $E_{j,i}$ where $j$ is the column that our off-diagonal element $a_{ij}$ occurs in, and $i$ is the row it occurs in.

If $(b_{ij}) = B = AE_{j,i}$, then we know that $b_{ii} = a_{ij} \neq 0$. Remember this.

Now let's look at what happens when we multiply $E_{j,i}A$.

What $E_{j,i}$ does, when multiplied on the left side of $A$ is zero out every row of $A$ except the $i$-th, which it puts in the $j$-th row.

In particular, the $i$-th row of $(c_{ij}) = C = E_{j,i}A$ is all zeros, since $i \neq j$, that is $c_{ii} = 0$, so $C \neq B$.

For example, suppose we have:

$A = \begin{bmatrix}\ast&\ast&\ast\\ \ast&\ast&\ast\\ a&\ast&\ast\end{bmatrix}$.

Here, our non-zero off-diagonal is $a_{31} = a$ (so $i = 3$ and $j = 1$).

If we multiply $A$ on the right by $E_{1,3}$, we get:

$\begin{bmatrix}\ast&\ast&\ast\\ \ast&\ast&\ast\\ a&\ast&\ast\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0&0&1\\0&0&0\\0&0&0\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&\ast\\0&0&\ast\\0&0&a\end{bmatrix}$

with $a$ in the $3,3$ position.

If we multiply $A$ on the left with $E_{1,3}$ we get:

$\begin{bmatrix}0&0&1\\0&0&0\\0&0&0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\ast&\ast&\ast\\ \ast&\ast&\ast\\ a&\ast&\ast\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}a&\ast&\ast\\0&0&0\\0&0&0\end{bmatrix}$

and here you can see that the $3,3$ position is $0$, and it does not matter what the asterisks are, the two matrices cannot be the same.

Deveno said:
Now let's consider what (in general) right-multiplication by $E_{i,j}$ does.

Clearly, $E_{i,j}$ sends the $k$-th column of $A = (a_{ij})$ to a 0-column if $k \neq i$.

And $E_{i,j}$ sends the $i$-th column to the $j$-th column in the product $AE_{i,j}$.

We have that $(AE_{ij})_{nm}=\sum_{k=1}^M A_{nk}(E_{ij})_{km}$, right?

Do we get from that the second statement that you said, "$E_{i,j}$ sends the $i$-th column to the $j$-th column in the product $AE_{i,j}$"?
Deveno said:
so let's use $E_{j,i}$ where $j$ is the column that our off-diagonal element $a_{ij}$ occurs in, and $i$ is the row it occurs in.

If $(b_{ij}) = B = AE_{j,i}$, then we know that $b_{ii} = a_{ij} \neq 0$.

How did you get that?
Deveno said:
What $E_{j,i}$ does, when multiplied on the left side of $A$ is zero out every row of $A$ except the $i$-th, which it puts in the $j$-th row.

What do you mean by "which it puts in the $j$-th row"?
Deveno said:
In particular, the $i$-th row of $(c_{ij}) = C = E_{j,i}A$ is all zeros, since $i \neq j$, that is $c_{ii} = 0$, so $C \neq B$.
Why does it hold that $c_{ii} = 0$? (Thinking)

Let's "fill in the blanks" in my last example, and I'll use a different elementary matrix.

Suppose $A = \begin{bmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&k\end{bmatrix}$.

Let us suppose further that the $2,3$ entry (the third entry in the second row, in this case, $f$) is non-zero.

Now $E_{3,2}$ (note how we reversed the indices) is the matrix:

$E_{3,2} = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&1&0\end{bmatrix}$

Watch what happens to $A$ when we multiply by $E_{3,2}$ on the right:

$AE_{3,2} = \begin{bmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&k\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&1&0\end{bmatrix}$

$=\begin{bmatrix}0&c&0\\0&f&0\\0&k&0\end{bmatrix}$

As I indicated, we killed all the columns except the 3rd, which wound up in the 2nd column.

In particular, our $f \neq 0$ moved from the $2,3$ position, to the $2,2$ position (on the main diagonal).

Now let's multiply $A$ on the left by $E_{3,2}$:

$E_{3,2}A = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&1&0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&k\end{bmatrix}$

$=\begin{bmatrix}0&0&0\\0&0&0\\d&e&f\end{bmatrix}$.

Here, $E_{3,2}$ moved the second row (where the $f$ we're interested in) to the third row, the other two rows are $0$.

Do you see how that works? I did the 3x3 case so you can work it out yourself, but the same logic applies to any $n\times n$ matrix. $E_{i,j}$ takes the $i$-th column and puts it in the $j$-th column (and all the other columns become 0), when we use it on the right.

$E_{i,j}$ takes the $j$-th row, and moves it to the $i$-th row, making all other rows 0.

In my example here, we saw the $2,2$ entry of $AE_{3,2} = f \neq 0$.

However, the $2,2$ entry of $E_{3,2}A = 0$.

In the general case, if $a_{ij} \neq 0$, for our matrix $A = (a_{ij})$, if we hit it on the RIGHT by $E_{j,i}$ (again, note the reversal of indices), we will take the $j$-th column (which is where our non-zero entry $a_{ij}$ lives), and move it to the $i$-th column, and now the non-zero $a_{ij}$ is the $i$-the entry down in the $i$-th column, that is, it has moved to the diagonal, in the $i,i$-th position.

When we hit $A$ from the LEFT with $E_{j,i}$, it's again going to preserve the $i$-th row, but since $i \neq j$, it's not going to KEEP it in the $i$-th row, but move it to the $j$-th row.

And the $i$-th row(which contains the $i,i$-th diagonal position), along with any other row besides the $j$-th is going to be 0. So in our products, we have that the $i,i$-th entry of $AE_{j,i} = a_{ij} \neq 0$, but the $i,i$-th entry of $E_{j,i}A$ is 0.

In particular, $A$ and $E_{j,i}$ cannot commute.

This shows that if a matrix $A$ HAS an off-diagonal non-zero entry, we can find some matrix $A$ doesn't commute with, and thus $A$ cannot lie in the center of the general linear group.

So, we are left with diagonal matrices.

Related to Finding the Center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$: Exploring the Possibilities

1. What is $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$?

$GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ is the set of all $n \times n$ invertible matrices with real number entries. These matrices are often referred to as "general linear" matrices because they represent linear transformations that preserve the structure of the underlying vector space.

2. Why is finding the center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ important?

Finding the center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ allows us to understand the symmetry of linear transformations and their interactions with other linear transformations. It also has applications in areas such as group theory and representation theory.

3. How do you find the center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$?

The center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ can be found by determining which matrices commute with all other matrices in the set. This can be done by solving for the solutions to the equation $AB=BA$ where $A$ and $B$ are matrices in $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$.

4. Can the center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$ to be empty. This occurs when there are no matrices in the set that commute with all other matrices, meaning there is no element that can be considered the "center" of the set.

5. How does the size of $n$ affect the center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$?

The size of $n$ does not have a direct impact on the center of $GL_n(\mathbb{R})$. However, as the size of $n$ increases, the number of possible matrices in the set also increases, making it more difficult to determine the center without using specific methods or techniques.