Finding the center of an Ellipse?

In summary, the equation of an ellipse with center at (b,c) can be written as \frac{(x-b)^2}{a}+\frac{(y-c)^2}{b}=1, where a and b are the semi-axis, and the center is at (b,c) and the ellipse has not been rotated.
Cryptologica

Homework Statement

The ellipse 18x^2+2x+y^2=1 has its center at the point (b,c) where b=____ and c=____?

Homework Equations

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

18x^2+2x+y^2=1
18(x^2+(1/9)x)+y^2=1
18(x^2+(1/9)x+(1/324))+y^2= 1+18(1/324)
18(x+(1/18))^2+y^2=19/18

I need it to be in the form x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1, then I can easily determine the coordinates of the center. Did I do something wrong? How do I get to this form? Thanks.
(This is for my Calc. II class and I asked in two other forums and got nothing...but I figured you guys would know about this due to applications in astrophysics.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do anything wrong, you are almost there.

The equation you are looking for is more like:

[tex]\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{a}+\frac{(y-y_0)^2}{b}=1[/tex]

... where a and b are the semi-axis, and the center is at [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex] (and the ellipse has not been rotated.) Notice you can just read the center off from your equation.

Simon Bridge said:
You didn't do anything wrong, you are almost there.

The equation you are looking for is more like:

[tex]\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{a}+\frac{(y-y_0)^2}{b}=1[/tex]

... where a and b are the semi-axis, and the center is at [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex] (and the ellipse has not been rotated.) Notice you can just read the center off from your equation.

Yes, I know I am really close. However, I cannot get the equation to equal one, without having constants in the numerator other than 1. When I multiply by (18/19) to make it equal to one the numerator never cancels?

Cryptologica said:
Yes, I know I am really close. However, I cannot get the equation to equal one, without having constants in the numerator other than 1. When I multiply by (18/19) to make it equal to one the numerator never cancels?

You can always get a constant out of the numerator. Remember that[tex]\frac a b = \frac 1 {\frac b a}[/tex]

Oh, ok! Thanks, I think I got it now.

Related to Finding the center of an Ellipse?

1. What is the center of an ellipse?

The center of an ellipse is the point where the two axes (major and minor) intersect. It is the midpoint of the longest diameter of the ellipse.

2. How do you find the center of an ellipse?

To find the center of an ellipse, you need to know the coordinates of the two foci and the length of the major and minor axes. The center will be the midpoint between the two foci along the major axis.

3. Can the center of an ellipse be outside of the shape?

No, the center of an ellipse will always be inside the shape. It is the point that is equidistant from all points on the ellipse.

4. How does the center of an ellipse affect its shape?

The center of an ellipse does not affect its shape. It only determines the position of the ellipse in the coordinate plane.

5. Is it possible for an ellipse to have multiple centers?

No, an ellipse can only have one center. The center is a unique point that defines the shape of the ellipse.