Finding the Best Textbook for Differential Equations

In summary, The conversation is about searching for recommendations for a good textbook on Differential Equations (DE). The person asking for recommendations has some knowledge in linear algebra and Calculus 1-3, and has self-studied solution methods for basic ODEs. They have a DE course coming up and would like a supplementary textbook that focuses on analytical solution methods. The person has received two recommendations, one for a textbook on DE and another for the classic by Arnold. They mention their preference for a longer textbook for more thorough coverage.
Drood
Hi,

I searched the forums but was unable to find any thread about DE textbooks so I'll start one. I'm looking for a good DE textbook, mostly focusing on ODEs, something comprehensive and complete and not too old fashioned. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to give more information in your post. Like: what is your current knowledge of mathematics? Have you done DE's before? What would you like to book to cover? Would you like to be able to solve equations, or would you be more interested in theoretical existence and uniqueness problems, or are you more interested in finding solutions with computers?

Anyway, a book I like very much is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070575401/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another good book (but it requires mathematical maturity) is of course the classic by Arnold: https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540345639/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
You might want to give more information in your post. Like: what is your current knowledge of mathematics? Have you done DE's before? What would you like to book to cover? Would you like to be able to solve equations, or would you be more interested in theoretical existence and uniqueness problems, or are you more interested in finding solutions with computers?

Anyway, a book I like very much is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070575401/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another good book (but it requires mathematical maturity) is of course the classic by Arnold: https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540345639/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thank you for your reply. I've done linear algebra, Calculus 1-3 (3 being the 'highest' calculus offered). I self studied solution methods to some basic ODEs such as first order and second order, homogenous and non-homogenous, linear...to prepare me for the mechanics course I just finished, so I have some knowledge. Anyways I have 'Differential Equations' next semester and I would like to pick up a supplementary textbook to go with this text we'll likely be using:

https://www.amazon.com/Differential-Equations-Boundary-Value-Textbooks-Available/dp/1111827060/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Analytical solution methods is what I am most interested in at the moment.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the first textbook you presented. The more pages it has the better! It usually means the topics more thoroughly covered with lengthier explanations.

Drood said:
I like the first textbook you presented. The more pages it has the better! It usually means the topics more thoroughly covered with lengthier explanations.
For your background, I really like Ross Differential equations.

And more pages doesn't mean better.

Related to Finding the Best Textbook for Differential Equations

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a differential equations textbook?

When looking for the best textbook for differential equations, it is important to consider factors such as the level of difficulty, the author's writing style, the inclusion of real-world examples and applications, and the availability of online resources or practice problems.

2. Is it better to choose a textbook written by a single author or a team of authors?

This ultimately depends on personal preference. A single author may have a consistent writing style and flow, while a team of authors may bring a variety of perspectives and expertise to the textbook. It is important to read reviews and sample chapters to determine which style works best for you.

3. How can I determine the level of difficulty of a differential equations textbook?

The best way to determine the level of difficulty is to read reviews and sample chapters, as well as ask for recommendations from professors or other students. It is also helpful to compare the textbook to others in the same subject to get a better understanding of the level of difficulty.

4. Are there any online resources that can help supplement the textbook?

Many textbooks now come with online resources such as practice problems, solutions manuals, and interactive simulations. It is important to check if the textbook you are considering has any online resources available and if they align with your learning style.

5. Should I prioritize cost or quality when choosing a differential equations textbook?

This ultimately depends on your budget and personal preferences. It is important to keep in mind that a higher quality textbook may provide a better learning experience and may be a worthwhile investment in the long run. However, there are also many affordable options available that still provide a solid foundation in differential equations.