Finding the asymptotic complexity of a function

In summary, the conversation starts with a discussion about finding the asymptotic complexity of a function and the dominant term involved. The conversation then delves into using limits and inequalities to prove that the function has a complexity of n^6. The conversation ends with a summary of the steps taken to prove the complexity and a question about the best way to present the proof.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find the asymptotic complexity of the function:

$$g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3$$

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Could we do it like that? (Thinking)

$$g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n -10-5n^3 \geq n^6-\frac{4}{10}n^6-\frac{10}{64}n^6-\frac{5}{27}n^6=\left ( 1-\frac{4}{10}-\frac{10}{64}-\frac{5}{27} \right ) n^6=\frac{1117}{4320}n^6$$

If so, how can we find a $n_0$, so that the inequality stands? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find the asymptotic complexity of the function:

$$g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3$$

evinda said:
Could we do it like that? (Thinking)

$$g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n -10-5n^3 \geq n^6-\frac{4}{10}n^6-\frac{10}{64}n^6-\frac{5}{27}n^6=\left ( 1-\frac{4}{10}-\frac{10}{64}-\frac{5}{27} \right ) n^6=\frac{1117}{4320}n^6$$

If so, how can we find a $n_0$, so that the inequality stands? (Thinking)

What do you think is the dominant term? (Wondering)If you have an idea about that, let's call that $d(n)$.

Then, to verify if you have it right, you can use the equivalent definition that:
$$g(n)=\Theta(d(n)) \iff \exists L > 0 \text{ such that }\limsup_{n\to \infty}\left| \frac{g(n)}{d(n)} \right| = L$$

I like Serena said:
What do you think is the dominant term? (Wondering)If you have an idea about that, let's call that $d(n)$.

Then, to verify if you have it right, you can use the equivalent definition that:
$$g(n)=\Theta(d(n)) \iff \exists L > 0 \text{ such that }\limsup_{n\to \infty}\left| \frac{g(n)}{d(n)} \right| = L$$

Isn't the dominant term in this case $n^6$ ? (Thinking)

Is the way I did it, at my last post, wrong? :confused:

evinda said:
Isn't the dominant term in this case $n^6$ ? (Thinking)

Yes.
But how do you know that it isn't $4n^5\log^2 n$? (Wondering)
Is the way I did it, at my last post, wrong? :confused:

It's right.
But it's not enough for asymptotic equality yet. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
Yes.
But how do you know that it isn't $4n^5\log^2 n$? (Wondering)

I thought so, since:

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n^6}{4n^5 \log^2 n}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{n}{4 \log^2 n}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{1}{\frac{8 \log n}{n}}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{n}{8 \log n}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{1}{\frac{8}{n}}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{n}{8}=+\infty$$

Can we not conclude it from that? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
It's right.
But it's not enough for asymptotic equality yet. (Wasntme)

What else could we do? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I thought so, since:

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n^6}{4n^5 \log^2 n}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{n}{4 \log^2 n}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{1}{\frac{8 \log n}{n}}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{n}{8 \log n}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{1}{\frac{8}{n}}=\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{n}{8}=+\infty$$

Can we not conclude it from that? (Thinking)

Yes. Yes, we can. (Nod)
What else could we do? (Thinking)

Effectively you have proven that $g(n) = \Omega(n^6)$.

Don't you need $g(n) = \Theta(n^6)$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Effectively you have proven that $g(n) = \Omega(n^6)$.

But.. what $n_1$ can we take? (Worried)

I like Serena said:
Don't you need $g(n) = \Theta(n^6)$? (Wondering)
It is $g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3 \leq n^6, \forall n \geq 1$.

So, we can pick $n_2=1$ and $c_2=1$, and we have that $g(n)=O(n^6)$, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
But.. what $n_1$ can we take? (Worried)

Won't $n_1=1$ do just fine? (Wondering)
It is $g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3 \leq n^6, \forall n \geq 1$.

So, we can pick $n_2=1$ and $c_2=1$, and we have that $g(n)=O(n^6)$, right? (Thinking)

Yep. (Smirk)

I like Serena said:
Won't $n_1=1$ do just fine? (Wondering)

But.. it doesn't stand $\forall n \geq 1$, or am I wrong? (Worried)

Shouldn't we pick a greater $n_1$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
But.. it doesn't stand $\forall n \geq 1$, or am I wrong? (Worried)

Shouldn't we pick a greater $n_1$? (Thinking)

Oh right. (Blush)Well, you had just found this limit:
evinda said:

Let's invert the fraction.
Then we have:
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{4n^5 \log^2 n}{n^6} = 0$$

This means that:
$$\forall\, \varepsilon > 0 \ \exists\, n_0 \text{ such that }\forall\, n>n_0: \left| \frac{4n^5 \log^2 n}{n^6} \right| < \varepsilon$$

If we pick $\varepsilon=\frac{4}{10}$, we get that there is an $n_0$ such that for each $n > n_0$:
$$4n^5 \log^2 n < \frac{4}{10}n^6$$

So we don't have a specific value for this $n_0$, but we do know that it exists.
That is enough for what you want to proof. (Mmm)How could you apply this reasoning to the whole expression? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Well, you had just found this limit:

Let's invert the fraction.
Then we have:

This means that:
$$\forall\, \varepsilon > 0 \ \exists\, n_0 \text{ such that }\forall\, n>n_0: \left| \frac{4n^5 \log^2 n}{n^6} \right| < \varepsilon$$

If we pick $\varepsilon=\frac{4}{10}$, we get that there is an $n_0$ such that for each $n > n_0$:

So we don't have a specific value for this $n_0$, but we do know that it exists.
That is enough for what you want to proof. (Mmm)How could you apply this reasoning to the whole expression? (Wondering)

So, could we do it like that? (Thinking)

This means that:

So, we have:

$$g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n -10-5n^3 \geq n^6-\frac{4}{10}n^6-\frac{10}{64}n^6-\frac{5}{27}n^6=\left ( 1-\frac{4}{10}-\frac{10}{64}-\frac{5}{27} \right ) n^6=\frac{1117}{4320}n^6, \forall n \geq \max \{ \lfloor n_0 \rfloor+1,3 \}$$

So, we pick $n_1= \max \{ \lfloor n_0 \rfloor+1,3 \}, c_1=\frac{1117}{4320}$.
$$g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3 \leq n^6, \forall n \geq 1$$

So, we pick $n_2=1, c_2=1$

Now, we pick $n_0=\max \{ \max \{ \lfloor n_0 \rfloor+1,3 \} \}, c_1=\frac{1117}{4320}$ and $c_2=1$ and we have that:
$$g(n)=\Theta(n^6)$$

Or is it better like that? (Wasntme)

This means that:
$$\forall\, \varepsilon > 0 \ \exists\, n_1 \text{ such that }\forall\, n>n_1: \left| \frac{4n^5 \log^2 n}{n^6} \right| < \varepsilon$$

If we pick $\varepsilon=\frac{4}{10}$, we get that there is an $n_1$ such that for each $n > n_1$:
$$4n^5 \log^2 n < \frac{4}{10}n^6$$$$\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{10}{n^6}=0$$

This means that:
$$\forall\, \varepsilon > 0 \ \exists\, n_0 \text{ such that }\forall\, n>n_2: \left| \frac{10}{n^6} \right| < \varepsilon$$

If we pick $\varepsilon=\frac{10}{64}$, we get that there is an $n_2$ such that for each $n > n_2$:
$$10 < \frac{10}{64}n^6$$

$$\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{5n^3}{n^6}=0$$

This means that:
$$\forall\, \varepsilon > 0 \ \exists\, n_3 \text{ such that }\forall\, n>n_3: \left| \frac{5n^3}{n^6} \right| < \varepsilon$$

If we pick $\varepsilon=\frac{5}{27}$, we get that there is an $n_3$ such that for each $n > n_3$:
$$5n^3 < \frac{5}{27}n^6$$

So, we have:

$$g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n -10-5n^3 \geq n^6-\frac{4}{10}n^6-\frac{10}{64}n^6-\frac{5}{27}n^6=\left ( 1-\frac{4}{10}-\frac{10}{64}-\frac{5}{27} \right ) n^6=\frac{1117}{4320}n^6, \forall n \geq \max \{ n_1,n_2,n_3\}$$

So, we pick $n_4=\max \{ n_1,n_2,n_3\}, c_1=\frac{1117}{4320}$.
$$g(n)=n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3 \leq n^6, \forall n \geq 1$$

So, we pick $n_5=1, c_2=1$

Now, we pick $n_0=\max \{ 1, \max \{ n_1,n_2,n_3\} \}, c_1=\frac{1117}{4320}$ and $c_2=1$ and we have that:
$$g(n)=\Theta(n^6)$$

(Thinking)

That all looks correct! (Nod)
I think you can do it both ways.But... what if we take a look at:
$$\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{g(n)}{n^6} = \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3}{n^6}$$

What is the value of this limit? (Wondering)

And what does it mean? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
That all looks correct! (Nod)
I think you can do it both ways.

A ok! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
But... what if we take a look at:
$$\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{g(n)}{n^6} = \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3}{n^6}$$

What is the value of this limit? (Wondering)

$$\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{g(n)}{n^6} = \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3}{n^6}=\lim_{n \to \infty} \left ( 1-\frac{4 \log^2 n}{n}-\frac{10}{n^6}-\frac{5}{n^3}\right) =(*)$$

Since:

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\log^2 n}{n}\overset{\text{DLH}}{=} \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{2 \log n}{n} \overset{\text{DLH}}{=} \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{2}{n}=0$$

$$(*)=1$$

I like Serena said:
And what does it mean? (Wondering)

I don't know.. (Sweating) What could this mean? (Thinking)

evinda said:
$$\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{g(n)}{n^6} = \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n^6-4n^5 \log^2 n-10-5n^3}{n^6}=\lim_{n \to \infty} \left ( 1-\frac{4 \log^2 n}{n}-\frac{10}{n^6}-\frac{5}{n^3}\right) =(*)$$

Since:

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\log^2 n}{n}\overset{\text{DLH}}{=} \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{2 \log n}{n} \overset{\text{DLH}}{=} \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{2}{n}=0$$

$$(*)=1$$

Good! (Nod)
I don't know.. (Sweating) What could this mean? (Thinking)

What does this limit mean according to the definition of a limit ($\varepsilon$-style)? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
What does this limit mean according to the definition of a limit ($\varepsilon$-style)? (Wondering)
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{g(n)}{n^6}=1 $$That means that $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists n_0$ such that $\forall n > n_0:$

$$|\frac{g(n)}{n^6}-1|< \epsilon$$

Right? (Thinking) What can we conclude from that? :confused:

evinda said:
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{g(n)}{n^6}=1 $$

That means that $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists n_0$ such that $\forall n > n_0:$

$$|\frac{g(n)}{n^6}-1|< \epsilon$$

Right? (Thinking) What can we conclude from that? :confused:

That:
$$1 - \epsilon< \frac{g(n)}{n^6}< 1 + \epsilon$$
$$(1 - \epsilon)n^6< g(n)< (1 + \epsilon)n^6$$

Recognize it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
That:

So could we just take $c_1=1-\epsilon$, $c_2=1+\epsilon$ , using the definition of the limit $\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{g(n)}{n^6}$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So could we just take $c_1=1-\epsilon$, $c_2=1+\epsilon$ , using the definition of the limit $\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{g(n)}{n^6}$? (Thinking)

Yes! (Party)

I like Serena said:
Oh right. (Blush)Well, you had just found this limit:Let's invert the fraction.
Then we have:

This means that:

If $n^6$ would have a coefficient $a_1 \neq 1$, would we use it at the limit and therefore at the definition? (Thinking)

$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{4n^5 \log^2 n}{a_1 n^6} = 0$

Or wouln't we have to use it? :confused:

I like Serena said:
That:

$$g(n)=\Theta(n^6)$$

means that $\exists c_1,c_2>0$ and $n_0 \geq 0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:

$$c_1 \cdot n^6 \leq g(n) \leq c_2 n^6$$

By taking $c_1=1-\epsilon$, $c_2=1+\epsilon$, we don't have $ \leq$ and $\geq$, but $<$ and $>$.
Is it a problem? (Thinking)

evinda said:
$$g(n)=\Theta(n^6)$$

means that $\exists c_1,c_2>0$ and $n_0 \geq 0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:

$$c_1 \cdot n^6 \leq g(n) \leq c_2 n^6$$

By taking $c_1=1-\epsilon$, $c_2=1+\epsilon$, we don't have $ \leq$ and $\geq$, but $<$ and $>$.
Is it a problem? (Thinking)

No problem. (Wasntme)

Note that:
$$(1-\epsilon) \cdot n^6 < g(n) < (1+\epsilon) n^6 \quad\Rightarrow \quad
(1-\epsilon) \cdot n^6 \leq g(n) \leq (1+\epsilon) n^6$$

We should still pick a value for $\epsilon$ though. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
No problem. (Wasntme)

Note that:
$$(1-\epsilon) \cdot n^6 < g(n) < (1+\epsilon) n^6 \quad\Rightarrow \quad
(1-\epsilon) \cdot n^6 \leq g(n) \leq (1+\epsilon) n^6$$

I understand! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
We should still pick a value for $\epsilon$ though. (Nerd)

We can pick what $0<\epsilon<1$ we want, right? (Thinking)

So, we could pick, for example , $\epsilon=\frac{3}{4}$, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
We can pick what $0<\epsilon<1$ we want, right? (Thinking)

So, we could pick, for example , $\epsilon=\frac{3}{4}$, right? (Thinking)

Exactly! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Exactly! (Nod)

I understand! (Nod) Thanks a lot! (Clapping)

Related to Finding the asymptotic complexity of a function

1. What is asymptotic complexity?

The asymptotic complexity of a function is a measure of how the runtime of the function grows as the input size increases. It is often used to analyze the efficiency of algorithms, and is expressed using Big O notation.

2. How do you find the asymptotic complexity of a function?

To find the asymptotic complexity of a function, you can analyze the number of operations or steps the function takes to complete in terms of the input size. Then, you can simplify this expression and remove any constants or lower-order terms to determine the Big O notation.

3. What is the difference between time complexity and space complexity?

Time complexity refers to the number of operations or steps a function takes to complete, while space complexity refers to the amount of memory or storage space the function requires. Both time and space complexity can be expressed using Big O notation.

4. Why is it important to analyze the asymptotic complexity of a function?

Analyzing the asymptotic complexity of a function is important because it allows us to understand how the runtime or memory usage of the function will scale as the input size increases. This information is crucial in determining the efficiency of the function and choosing the most appropriate algorithm for a given problem.

5. Can the asymptotic complexity of a function change?

Yes, the asymptotic complexity of a function can change depending on the type of input or the specific implementation of the function. It is important to analyze the asymptotic complexity for worst-case, best-case, and average-case scenarios to fully understand the efficiency of the function.