Finding the Area Enclosed by Two Equations

• Thread starter CellCoree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sketch
In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a region enclosed by two equations and deciding whether to integrate with respect to x or y. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using a TI-83 plus or a math program to check the answer. The final answer for the area is 58.2.
CellCoree
Sketch the region enclosed by [tex]x+y^2=12[/tex] and [tex]x+y=0[/tex]. Decide whether to integrate with respect to [tex]x[/tex] or [tex]y[/tex]. Then find the area of the region.

first thing i did was solve for x for each equation then set them to each other and got:
[tex]12-y^2=-y[/tex]
[tex]y^2-y-12=0[/tex]

found the points of intersection of y at 4,-3
plugged in for y and found the x intersections and got:

(-4,4) & (3,-3) for the points of intersections

ok time to set up the integral with respect to y

[tex]\int (-y) -(12-y^2)[/tex] (a=-3, b=4, don't know how to set those up using latex)

add the terms together to make it more neat...

[tex]\int y^2-y-12[/tex] (a=-3, b=4)

integrate...

[tex] \frac{y^3}{3} - \frac{y^2}{2} - 12y[/tex] (a=-3,b=4)

[tex] \frac{4^3}{3} - \frac{4^2}{2} - 12(4)[/tex]
subtract the above part by...
[tex] \frac{-3^3}{3} - \frac{-3^2}{2} - 12(-3)[/tex]

and got the answer -57.16667, which i know is way off. what am i doing wrong??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance, i'll say check your signs for the f(b) - f(a).

k checked that part and got the same signs, so what is wrong with my answer? did i set up the equation correctly? (is there a Ti-83 plus program i can use to check my answer? or is there any math program for the computer that would do this for me?

Last edited:
well you can integrate in terms of x or try a change of variable, but its easy to get the area directly.

first you have the area enclosed between the straight line y=-x and the horizontal parabola y^2=-x+12. to find the points of intersection substitute y=-x in the parabola ecuation and you will get a second grade ecuation for x that haves the solutions -4 and 3, then in x=-4 and x=3 are the intersections.

second, make a sketch of the situation and think the area of the enclosed region between -4 and 0 is the integral of the parabola minus the integral of the line. and between 0 and 12 are 2 times the integral of the parabola minus a part of this (the two times is simply because with the integral of the parabola you only get the area above x-axis and below the parabola and by symmetry the area between 0 and 12 is the same above x and below x).

third, the part that you must substract is the area enclosed between the y=x x=0 and the parabola that it's trivial to get.

then: where int(([a,b],f(x)) is integral of f(x) between a and b and sqrt square root:

A=int([-4,0],sqrt(-x+12)+x)+2*int([0,12],sqrt(-x+12))-int([0,3],sqrt(-x+12)-x)

A=(2/3)*(16^(3/2)+9^(3/2))-(5/2)=58,1666=58,2

Related to Finding the Area Enclosed by Two Equations

1. What is a Sketch Region Enclosed?

A Sketch Region Enclosed refers to a closed shape or area that has been outlined or sketched in a drawing or diagram. This can include any type of shape, such as a circle, rectangle, or irregular shape, but it must be fully enclosed with no gaps or openings.

2. Why is it important to identify a Sketch Region Enclosed?

Identifying a Sketch Region Enclosed is important in scientific drawings and diagrams as it helps to clearly define the boundaries of a specific area or object. This allows for accurate measurements and analysis of the enclosed region.

3. How do you determine if a region is fully enclosed?

A region is considered fully enclosed if there are no gaps or openings in the outline of the shape. This can be determined by visually inspecting the drawing or by using tools such as a ruler or compass to check for any breaks in the outline.

4. Can a Sketch Region Enclosed have curved boundaries?

Yes, a Sketch Region Enclosed can have curved boundaries as long as the outline is continuous and there are no gaps or openings. This can include circles, ovals, and other irregular shapes with curved edges.

5. How is a Sketch Region Enclosed different from a Sketch Region?

A Sketch Region Enclosed specifically refers to a fully enclosed shape or area, while a Sketch Region can refer to any outlined area, whether or not it is fully enclosed. This means that a Sketch Region can have gaps or openings, while a Sketch Region Enclosed cannot.