Numbers & Constants: Planck, Boltzman & Universal Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses various "Planck" quantities, which are derived from the Planck Constant and represent the smallest units of energy. The Boltzmann Constant is related to the gas constant and is used in thermodynamics. The value of Planck's Constant is h=6.626x10^-34 Joule sec. It is used to define the relationship between temperature and entropy. The gas constant, R, is defined as N0kB, where N0 is Avogadro's number and kB is Boltzmann's constant. It is important to always include units when discussing fundamental constants and to learn about them by examining their units.
Mk
What is the purpose of all the Planck's stuff? Planck's length, Planck's energy. And what is Boltzman's constant? On my calculater (PCalc 2 for mac) what is the "Universal Gas" (8.31451)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The various "Planck" quantities are arrived at by manipulation of Planck Constant, which is an indication of the smallest units of energy. (Sort of like Universal pennies)

The numbers are not what you should be looking at when you come upon a "constant". You give the number associated with the Gas constant, it is meaningless without the UNITS.

The gas constant is the R in

PV= nRT, the exact number will depend on the units of the other quantities. To get meaningful results the units must be correct.

Boltzmann constant is related to the Gas constant, it is also found in thermodynamics. Once again learn to examine the units associated with such numbers,they tell you a lot.

While on the topic of Planck... I'm new at physics (self-evidently once you read my question), what exactly is the value of Plancks constant? I've read materials that talk about it, but the actual numerical value is what i don't know, any help will be appreciated

Planks Constant h=6.626x10^-34 Joule sec.

Yes, what dlgoff said is correct. Max Planck was the founder of quantum physics. He said that energy is not continuous, but comes in small, discrete spurts. The energy on one of those spurts = Planck length.
Paden Roder

Originally posted by PRodQuanta
The energy on one of those spurts = Planck length.
Energy and length are of different units.

- Warren

yep, sorry, he's right, and that is what I intended. i meant energy.

Originally posted by Mk
What is the purpose of all the Planck's stuff? Planck's length, Planck's energy. And what is Boltzman's constant? On my calculater (PCalc 2 for mac) what is the "Universal Gas" (8.31451)?
Any "fundamental constant” is a patch hiding the gaping hole in our knowledge. For example,
gravity force = G*m1*m2/r^2

Presence of G means, that we know nothing about mass, space and gravity. In other cases also.
Any relation should be straight and should not contain any constants.

Please ignore the above post, it adds nothing of significance to the conversation.

Boltzmann constant defines the relationship between Temperature and how entropy changes with a changing energy. Bet that helped a lot! Mathematically (which, most likely, will not help much either!)

[tex]\frac 1 \tau = (\frac {\partial \sigma} {\partial U})_{N,V}[/tex]
Where:
[tex]\tau = {Fundamental\ Temperature}[/tex]
[tex]\sigma = {Fundamental\ Entropy}[/tex]
[tex]U = {Energy}[/tex]

The Boltzmann's constant is defined to be

[tex]\tau = k_B T [/tex]
Where T is a temperature scale that you are familiar with (Kelvin, Celsius, Fahrenheit etc) depending on the value of kB

this constant is used extensively in thermodynamics.

R the gas constant is defined to be

R = N0kB

Where N0 is Avogadro's number

N0= 6.022 x 1023
kB=1.38 x 10-18erg/deg
R=8.314 x 107erg/(mole deg)

Always include units with fundamental constants, also to learn about the constant, look at the units. In Physics and chemistry it is essential that you learn to appreciate the physical units attached to a number.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Michael F. Dmitriyev Presence of G means, that we know nothing about mass, space and gravity. In other cases also.
Any relation should be straight and should not contain any constants.

I strongly disagree with this. Whe you find a relation like that of gravity, you have pretty much nailed down: 1. which quantities are relevant for the interaction, 2. how they are involved in the phenomenon under study, and 3. the fact that a combination of them gives you always the same quantity (G in this case).

Also, constants have to do with the definition of the units you choose to use. Some constants in nature are indeed intriguing (maybe 26), but apart from those, they are not "gaps".

1. What is the significance of Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted as h, is a fundamental physical constant that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the energy levels of atoms and molecules. It also helps in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What does Boltzmann's constant represent?

Boltzmann's constant, denoted as k, is a physical constant that relates the average kinetic energy of particles in a gas to its temperature. It is used in statistical mechanics to calculate the distribution of particles in a gas and to understand the behavior of systems at the molecular level.

3. How are Planck's and Boltzmann's constants related?

Planck's constant and Boltzmann's constant are related through the equation E = kT, where E is the energy of a particle, k is Boltzmann's constant, and T is the temperature. This relationship shows that temperature is directly proportional to the average energy of particles, and both constants play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in a system.

4. What is the Universal Gas Constant?

The Universal Gas Constant, denoted as R, is a physical constant that relates the properties of a gas, such as its pressure, volume, and temperature, to its number of moles. It is used in the ideal gas law, which describes the behavior of gases under ideal conditions. The value of the Universal Gas Constant is approximately 8.314 J/mol·K.

5. How are these constants used in scientific research?

Planck's constant, Boltzmann's constant, and the Universal Gas Constant are all fundamental constants that are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used in calculations to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and molecular level, to determine the properties of gases, and to study the properties of matter and energy. These constants are essential in scientific research and have contributed significantly to our understanding of the physical world.