Finding the applied force at an angle?

In summary, a 2000 kg car driving up a 20° grade at 85 km/h requires a net force of 7.5 kN to accelerate it to 100 km/h in 10 seconds. However, choosing the axes parallel and perpendicular to the incline and considering the net force, the applied force needed is 851 N.
Bethany

Homework Statement

A 2000 kg car is driving up a 20° grade at a speed of 85 km/h. What force must be applied to the car to accelerate it up to 100 km/h in 10s?

m= 2000 kg
θ= 20°
Vo= 85 km/hr = 23.6 m/s
Vf = 100 km/hr = 27.8 m/s
t = 10 s

Homework Equations

F = ma (Fx = max)
Fx= Fcosθ
Vox = Vo cosθ
Voy = Vo sinθ
Vx = Vox + axt
Vx= Vox +axt

The Attempt at a Solution

I found these using the cos or sin equations above:
Vox = 22.1 m/s
Voy = 8.07 m/s
Vx = 26.1 m/s
Vy = 9.51 m/s

Using the last equation, I found ax = 0.4 m/s2

Fx= 800 N

I then solved for F using the second equation by dividing Fx by cosθ, making F= 851 N. I think I did something wrong when I solved for a, and my guess is that I couldn't use 10s for that since it was the incline, when I used it for the x values. I'm stuck on how to fix it, or on how to solve the problem a different way. These are practice problems that I have the answers to, but no solutions, so I know that F=7.5 kN.

I tried working backward and got that a=3.75 m/s2 and ax=3.52 m/s2. Using F=ma and the cos, I got Fx = 7040 N, which gets me the right answer however I do it. This makes me fairly certain that I'm doing something wrong with getting the acceleration.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bethany said:

Homework Statement

A 2000 kg car is driving up a 20° grade at a speed of 85 km/h. What force must be applied to the car to accelerate it up to 100 km/h in 10s?

m= 2000 kg
θ= 20°
Vo= 85 km/hr = 23.6 m/s
Vf = 100 km/hr = 27.8 m/s
t = 10 s

Homework Equations

F = ma (Fx = max)
Fx= Fcosθ
Vox = Vo cosθ
Voy = Vo sinθ
Vx = Vox + axt
Vx= Vox +axt

The Attempt at a Solution

I found these using the cos or sin equations above:
Vox = 22.1 m/s
Voy = 8.07 m/s
Vx = 26.1 m/s
Vy = 9.51 m/s

Using the last equation, I found ax = 0.4 m/s2

Fx= 800 N

I then solved for F using the second equation by dividing Fx by cosθ, making F= 851 N. I think I did something wrong when I solved for a, and my guess is that I couldn't use 10s for that since it was the incline, when I used it for the x values. I'm stuck on how to fix it, or on how to solve the problem a different way. These are practice problems that I have the answers to, but no solutions, so I know that F=7.5 kN.

I tried working backward and got that a=3.75 m/s2 and ax=3.52 m/s2. Using F=ma and the cos, I got Fx = 7040 N, which gets me the right answer however I do it. This makes me fairly certain that I'm doing something wrong with getting the acceleration.

AThanks in advance!
you are making the problem complex by not choosing the x-axis parallel to the incline and the y-axis perpendicular to the incline. You are also not noting that it is the net force that produces the acceleration , not just the applied force, regardless of how you choose your axes. Draw a free body diagram.

Related to Finding the applied force at an angle?

1. What is the formula for finding the applied force at an angle?

The formula for finding the applied force at an angle is F = ma, where F is the applied force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you find the angle of the applied force?

To find the angle of the applied force, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. The angle can also be determined by using the inverse of these functions.

3. Can the applied force be negative?

Yes, the applied force can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the applied force vector.

4. How does the angle of the applied force affect the overall force?

The angle of the applied force affects the overall force by changing the direction of the force vector. The magnitude of the force remains the same, but the direction may change depending on the angle.

5. Can you find the applied force at an angle if you only know the weight of the object?

Yes, you can find the applied force at an angle if you know the weight of the object. The weight of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Using this information, you can find the applied force at an angle using the formula F = ma.