Finding the apparent magnitude of the sun, and finding Distances from it.

In summary, a massive star converts about one solar mass of hydrogen into iron in its core, releasing 0.7 percent of the rest-mass energy as radiation. When it explodes as a supernova, the outer envelope of the star is ejected at speeds of up to 10,000 km/s. About 1 percent of the supernova energy is radiated in the optical over a timescale of 1 month. To estimate the average luminosity of the supernova during this time, the magnitude equations (2) and (3) are used. However, there was a small mistake in the calculation of the distance using equation (3). Using the correct equation, the distance at which supernovae can be detected in an optical
TFM

Homework Statement

During its lifetime a massive star converts about one solar mass of hydrogen into iron in its core, releasing about 0.7 percent of the rest-mass energy in the form of radiation. When it explodes as a supernovae, the outer envelope of the star (with a mass of 10Msun, say) is ejected at speeds of up to 10,000kms−1.

b)

About 1 per cent of the supernova energy is radiated in the optical over a timescale of about 1 month. Estimate the average luminosity of the supernova in units of the solar luminosity over this time.

done

c)

Using the above numbers, estimate the distance to which supernovae can be detected in an optical survey that images each field of the sky down to an apparent magnitude of mV = 18 once per month. (The absolute magnitude of the Sun is M(sunV) = 4.8.)

Homework Equations

[tex] F = \frac{L}{4\pi d^2} [/tex] (1)

[tex] m = m_0 - 2.5 log_{10}(F) [/tex] (2)

[tex] m = M + 5(log_{10}d - 1) [/tex] (3)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I have done b), which I got an answer of10.8 Solar Luminosities

However, I am now on part c). I know I need to use the magnitude equation (2) with the flux of the star (1). Now, m0 is the reference flux, which will be the suns. Now I am trying to calculate this, since they give M for the sun. however using (3), I calculate the m value to be around 50, which is much big to the answer I found on the internet, 26. I did the following:

[tex] m = M + 5(log_{10}d - 1) [/tex]

M = 4.8, d = 1Au = 1.5 * 10^11 m

[tex] m = 4.8 + 5(log_{10}1.5*10^{11} - 1) [/tex]

[tex] m = 4.8 + 5(11 - 1) [/tex]

[tex] m = 4.8 + 5(11 - 1) [/tex]

[tex] m = 4.8 + 5(10) [/tex]

m = 54.8

Any ideas where I have gone wrong?

Many thanks in advanced,

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear TFM,

Thank you for your post. It seems that you have made a small mistake in your calculation. The equation (3) that you have used is for calculating the apparent magnitude of an object based on its absolute magnitude and distance. However, in this problem, we are trying to calculate the distance based on the apparent magnitude. Therefore, you should use the following equation:

m = M + 5(log10d - 1)

Now, solving for d, we get:

d = 10^((m - M + 5)/5)

Plugging in the values, we get:

d = 10^((18 - 4.8 + 5)/5) = 10^((18.2)/5) = 10^3.64

Therefore, the distance to which supernovae can be detected in an optical survey is approximately 10^3.64 = 4,289.65 ly.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.Scientist

Hello TFM,

Thank you for sharing your solution attempt. It seems like you have the right equations and approach, but there may be a small error in your calculation.

In equation (3), the absolute magnitude M represents the intrinsic brightness of the object, while m represents the apparent magnitude as observed from Earth. So in this case, M should not equal the absolute magnitude of the Sun (4.8), but rather the absolute magnitude of the supernova. This value is not given in the problem, but we can estimate it using the information given.

We know that the supernova has an average luminosity of 10.8 solar luminosities, which means its absolute magnitude would be about -19.8 (using the equation M = -2.5 log(L/Lsun)). Now we can plug this value into equation (3) to solve for the distance d.

m = M + 5(log_{10}d - 1)

18 = -19.8 + 5(log_{10}d - 1)

37.8 = 5(log_{10}d - 1)

7.56 = log_{10}d - 1

log_{10}d = 8.56

d = 10^{8.56} = 4.5 * 10^8 pc

So the distance to which supernovae can be detected in an optical survey with an apparent magnitude limit of 18 would be about 4.5 * 10^8 parsecs. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate and may vary depending on the exact luminosity and distance of the supernova.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and good luck with the rest of your homework!

Related to Finding the apparent magnitude of the sun, and finding Distances from it.

1. What is the apparent magnitude of the sun?

The apparent magnitude of the sun is a measure of its brightness as seen from Earth. It is a logarithmic scale, where smaller numbers indicate brighter objects and larger numbers indicate dimmer objects. The apparent magnitude of the sun is approximately -26.74, making it one of the brightest objects in the sky.

2. How is the apparent magnitude of the sun calculated?

The apparent magnitude of the sun is calculated using a formula that takes into account the distance between the sun and Earth, as well as the sun's actual brightness (also known as absolute magnitude). The formula is: m = M + 5 log(d/10), where m is the apparent magnitude, M is the absolute magnitude, and d is the distance in parsecs.

3. How do scientists measure the distance from Earth to the sun?

Scientists use a method called parallax to measure the distance from Earth to the sun. This involves measuring the angle between the sun and a distant background object (such as a star) from two different points on Earth's orbit. By using trigonometry and knowing the distance between the two points on Earth's orbit, scientists can calculate the distance from Earth to the sun.

4. What is the distance from Earth to the sun?

The average distance from Earth to the sun is approximately 149.6 million kilometers (93 million miles). This distance can vary slightly due to the elliptical shape of Earth's orbit around the sun.

5. Why is it important to know the distance from Earth to the sun?

Knowing the distance from Earth to the sun is crucial for understanding our solar system and the processes that occur on Earth due to the sun's energy. It also helps scientists accurately measure the distances to other objects in the solar system, such as planets and asteroids. Additionally, knowing the distance to the sun is important for navigation and communication on Earth.