Finding the Angle of Release for a Dive-Bomber in 2D Motion

In summary, the problem involves a dive-bomber with a velocity of 280 m/s at an angle of \vartheta below the horizontal. When the altitude is 2.15km, the bomb is released and hits a target on the ground with a displacement of 3.25km. The goal is to find the angle \vartheta by finding the horizontal distance and using trigonometric equations for vertical and horizontal displacement in terms of time.
missbinky

Homework Statement

A dive-bomber has a velocity of 280 m/s at an angle of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] below the horizontal. When the altitude of the aircraft is 2.15km it releases a bomb, which subsequently hits a target on the ground. The magnitude of the displacement from the point of release of the bomb to the target is 3.25km. Find the angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really lost with this question, so if some one could give me some clues that would be wonderful. I also don't really know what the question looks like, so its hard to know where to start.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a diagram to set the problem up.

I get a major brain-fart everytime I try to draw it out. I don't know to even draw it out.

The teacher also gave the hints.

1) Find the horizontal distance x
2) Obtain the expression for y as a function of x for all angles [tex]\vartheta[/tex].
3) Find [tex]\vartheta[/tex] by equating y(x=xf = -h, and using the trigonometric relation.

1 = 1 + tan^2 [tex]\vartheta[/tex]
cos^2 [tex]\vartheta[/tex]

Last edited:
Write the equation for vertical displacement in terms of time.

Write the equation for horizontal displacement in terms of time.

Related to Finding the Angle of Release for a Dive-Bomber in 2D Motion

1. What is the difference between linear and projectile motion?

Linear motion is when an object moves in a straight line with constant speed. Projectile motion is when an object moves through the air in a parabolic path due to the influence of gravity.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of an object in 2D motion?

The velocity of an object in 2D motion can be calculated by dividing the total displacement (change in position) by the total time taken for the motion.

3. What is the acceleration formula for 2D motion?

The acceleration formula for 2D motion is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken for the motion.

4. How do you determine the direction of an object's motion in 2D?

The direction of an object's motion in 2D can be determined by using the direction of its velocity vector. The velocity vector indicates the speed and direction of the object's motion.

5. What factors affect the trajectory of an object in 2D motion?

The trajectory of an object in 2D motion is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and external forces can also affect the trajectory.