Finding the Angle of Incline for a Block Sliding Down a Frictionless Surface

In summary: That's a separate problem. So, in summary, a block with a mass of 4.5 kg slides down a frictionless incline a distance of 3m and then slides across a horizontal floor with friction (coefficient of friction is 0.52) at a speed of 7m/s at the bottom of the incline. The problem is to determine the angle of the incline, assuming constant acceleration.
cugirl

Homework Statement

A block (starting from rest) with mass m = 4.5 kg slides down a frictionless incline a distance of d = 3m and then slides across a horizontal floor with friction (the coefficient of friction is Fk = 0.52). The speed of the block at the bottom of the incline is v1 = 7m/s. What is the angle of the incline? (Assume the acceleration was constant.)

Homework Equations

v initial = 0
mgsin(mu) - ƒk = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am wondering if I am approaching this correctly.
mgsin(theta) - ƒk = ma

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cugirl said:

Homework Statement

A block (starting from rest) with mass m = 4.5 kg slides down a frictionless incline a distance of d = 3m and then slides across a horizontal floor with friction (the coefficient of friction is Fk = 0.52). The speed of the block at the bottom of the incline is v1 = 7m/s. What is the angle of the incline? (Assume the acceleration was constant.)

Homework Equations

v initial = 0
mgsin(mu) - ƒk = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am wondering if I am approaching this correctly.
mgsin(mu) - ƒk = ma

I hope you mean mgsinθ.

I would be concerned if you were trying to plug in μ, usually used for the coefficient of friction, as the angle.

sorry -- that's what I meant. All the greek letters -- uggh.

As to the problem, the equation you have doesn't address the basic acceleration down the incline, if your statement of the problem is correct in saying the incline is frictionless.

Related to Finding the Angle of Incline for a Block Sliding Down a Frictionless Surface

1. What is the angle of incline?

The angle of incline is the angle at which an inclined plane is tilted or raised from a horizontal surface.

2. How is the angle of incline measured?

The angle of incline can be measured using a protractor or a measuring tool with a built-in level.

3. What is the formula for calculating the angle of incline?

The formula for calculating the angle of incline is: angle = arctan (height/length), where "height" is the vertical distance and "length" is the horizontal distance.

4. What is the importance of knowing the angle of incline?

The angle of incline is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and construction. It helps in determining the force and energy required to move objects on inclined surfaces and in designing structures with appropriate support and stability.

5. How can the angle of incline affect the motion of objects?

The angle of incline affects the motion of objects by altering the force of gravity acting on the object. A steeper angle of incline will have a greater effect on the motion of an object, making it move faster or slower depending on the direction of the incline.