Finding the angle for an electrostatic force

In summary: Since the signs of the charges are opposite (the charge below is positive and the charge at the origin is negative), the resultant force should be directed away from the origin charge.
Kaani

Homework Statement

What is the angle θ between the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin and the positive x-axis? Answer in degrees as an angle between -180 degrees and 180 degrees measured from the positive x-axis, with counterclockwise positive.

Coulomb constant is 8.98755e9

(Figure attached)

Homework Equations

F = kqQ/R2 (for answers found in previous question, which was marked correct)

The Attempt at a Solution

In the previous question I was asked to find the magnitiude of the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin (see figure). I found this to be 2.112678794e-9 by calculating the forces between the charges and the origin seperately, and then using a^2+b^2=c^2.

To find the angle between the force and the x-axis I did arctan = (-9.1709694e-10)/(1.90324588e-9) and got -25.7275298 degrees. I plugged it in as both positive and negative, and both answers were wrong. I'm not sure how the "-180 to 180" part of the question changes it, and help would be appreciated. The two values I used in the tangent equation I used to find the correct answer in the question before this one, so I don't see how the angle would be wrong.

Thanks!

Attachments

• figure.png
    figure.png
    3 KB · Views: 1,270
Physics news on Phys.org
Kaani said:

Homework Statement

What is the angle θ between the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin and the positive x-axis? Answer in degrees as an angle between -180 degrees and 180 degrees measured from the positive x-axis, with counterclockwise positive.

Coulomb constant is 8.98755e9

(Figure attached)

Homework Equations

F = kqQ/R2 (for answers found in previous question, which was marked correct)

The Attempt at a Solution

In the previous question I was asked to find the magnitiude of the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin (see figure). I found this to be 2.112678794e-9 by calculating the forces between the charges and the origin seperately, and then using a^2+b^2=c^2.

To find the angle between the force and the x-axis I did arctan = (-9.1709694e-10)/(1.90324588e-9) and got -25.7275298 degrees. I plugged it in as both positive and negative, and both answers were wrong. I'm not sure how the "-180 to 180" part of the question changes it, and help would be appreciated. The two values I used in the tangent equation I used to find the correct answer in the question before this one, so I don't see how the angle would be wrong.

Thanks!

The magnitude of the force that you calculated is fine, but I think your direction is off. Take a look at the signs of the charges in the figure and pencil in the directions of the resulting forces (as small vectors) on the diagram. The signs of the forces (their directions) are important when determining the direction (angle) of the resultant. Also, make sure that you use y-component/x-component in the arctan function, otherwise you're not computing the angle that you think you are :smile:

gneill said:
The signs of the forces (their directions) are important when determining the direction (angle) of the resultant.

Oops... that was a stupid mistake, then. Switched the vectors around.

(picture I drew attached)

But, would the 1.903...e-9 be negitive or positive? In the equation it comes out negative, meaning it's a force of attraction. But since it's on the positive x-axis, it would have to be positive in the arctan equation, right?

So, arctan = (1.90324588e-9)/(-9.1709694e-10)
= -64.27247017

Attachments

• figure.png
    figure.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,143
Do charges of the same sign attract or repel? You should always look at the diagram and decide the direction of the resulting force. This will serve as a check on the sign of your calculated values (The signs of things in your calculation can get a bit complicated when you take the geometry of location into account. Looking at the diagram and thus knowing the required direction makes life simple :wink: ).

In this particular case you have a negative charge at the origin and a negative charge below it on the y-axis. What direction do you think the resulting force on the origin charge should be from the charge below it?

Your attempt at finding the angle is correct, but you need to be careful about the units. The Coulomb constant, k, has the units of Nm2/C2, so when you plug in the values for the forces (in Newtons) and the distance (in meters), you need to make sure that the units cancel out correctly. In this case, the units for the forces are already in Newtons, but the distance needs to be converted from centimeters to meters. So the correct distance to use in the equation is 0.02 meters, not 2 centimeters. Once you do this, you should get the correct angle of -25.73 degrees.

Related to Finding the angle for an electrostatic force

What is the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between charged particles, and is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

How do you calculate the angle for an electrostatic force?

To calculate the angle for an electrostatic force, you need to know the magnitude of the two charges involved and the distance between them. Then you can use the Coulomb's Law equation, F = k(q1q2)/r^2, to calculate the magnitude of the force. The angle can then be determined using the inverse tangent function, tan^-1(Fy/Fx).

What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic force?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic force is the Newton (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of forces, such as gravity or friction. Electrostatic force is typically measured in micro-Newtons (μN) when dealing with small charges.

Can the angle for an electrostatic force be negative?

Yes, the angle for an electrostatic force can be negative. This would occur when the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis. The angle would be measured as a negative value between -90 to 0 degrees, depending on the direction of the force.

How does the distance between charges affect the angle for an electrostatic force?

The distance between charges affects the magnitude of the electrostatic force, but it does not directly affect the angle. The angle is determined by the relative positions of the two charges and is not affected by the distance between them. However, as the distance increases, the magnitude of the electrostatic force decreases, which can indirectly affect the angle if the force becomes too small to measure accurately.