Finding Tension in Rope Connecting Refrigerator to Truck

In summary, the conversation discusses a refrigerator that is 7 ft tall, 3 ft wide, and 2 ft deep. It is placed upright on a truck and cannot slide. The mass of the refrigerator is 100 kg. A rope is later added to connect the top of the refrigerator to the truck, causing it to slightly lift off the front due to the truck's acceleration. To find the tension in the rope, the equation 0 = ma (h/2) -Th -mg (w/2) is used, with the acceleration being doubled from a previous calculation. The correct answer for the tension is found to be 210.18 N.
Naeem
A refrigerator is approximately a uniform parallelepiped h = 7 ft tall, w = 3 ft wide, and d = 2 ft deep. It sits upright on a truck with its 3 ft dimension in the direction of travel. Assume that the refrigerator cannot slide on the truck and that its mass is 100 kg. For the first three parts of this problem, the rope shown in the picture is not there.

Suppose now that a rope connects the top of the refrigerator with the cab of the truck, which now accelerates at twice the acceleration calculated in (c). The refrigerator lifts off slightly at the front but is held in place by the horizontal rope. Find the tension in the rope.

I did as follows:

I need to find two equations and two unknowns, the help says

0 = ma ( h/2) - Th - mg ( w/2)

where w is the width of the fridge, T , tension in the rope, a - acceleration.

Tried to plug in the values, got a wrong answer, Don't know what is wrong.

For the acceleration, I plugged in the doubled value.

Pl. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anybody help me with the previous post.

Ok, nobody helped me, but somehow I managed to get the correct answer.

It goes:

0 = ma (h/2) -Th -mg (w/2)
0 = 100 * 8.408 ( 3.5 /2) - T (7) - [ 100 * 9.81 ( 3/2) ] ( w - width of fridge ), also plug in double the value for acceleration from part c. which was 4.204 , now 4.204 * 2 = 8.408 m/s2.

Cranked it out and got tension to be T = 210.18 N

Thanks for looking !

Related to Finding Tension in Rope Connecting Refrigerator to Truck

1. How do I calculate the tension in a rope connecting a refrigerator to a truck?

The tension in a rope can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object (in this case, the refrigerator), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. You will also need to consider the angle at which the rope is being pulled and any other external forces acting on the rope.

2. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being pulled, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, any external forces acting on the rope, and the strength and elasticity of the rope itself.

3. Is there a maximum amount of tension a rope can handle?

Yes, every rope has a maximum breaking strength which is the maximum amount of tension it can withstand before breaking. This breaking strength is determined by the material and construction of the rope and should be considered when choosing a rope for a particular task.

4. How can I ensure the tension in the rope is safe for my refrigerator?

To ensure the tension in the rope is safe for your refrigerator, you should first determine the weight of the refrigerator and then calculate the maximum tension the rope can handle. Make sure to also consider the angle at which the rope will be pulled and any external forces acting on it. If the calculated tension is close to or exceeds the maximum breaking strength of the rope, it is recommended to use a stronger or thicker rope for added safety.

5. Can a rope be too tight when connecting a refrigerator to a truck?

Yes, a rope can be too tight when connecting a refrigerator to a truck. If the tension in the rope is too high, it can cause damage to the rope or the objects it is connecting. It is important to carefully calculate and adjust the tension to ensure it is within a safe range for both the rope and the objects being connected.