Finding tension force and and components of a uniform boom

In summary, a 1200-N uniform boom is supported at an angle of 55° by a cable at an angle of 25.0° to the horizontal. A 2000-N object hangs from the top of the boom, which is pivoted at the bottom. The tension in the support cable and the horizontal and vertical components of the reaction force exerted by the pivot boom can be found using the equations τ=Fd, ƩF_x=0, and ƩF_y=0. A diagram can be helpful in visualizing the problem, with the force along the cable being represented by an arrow.
kurispice

Homework Statement

A 1200-N uniform boom at ∅=55° to the horizontal is supported by a cable at an angle θ=25.0° to the horizontal. The boom is pivoted at the bottom and an object of weight 2 000 N hangs from its top.
Find (a) the tension in the support cable and (b) the horizontal and vertical components of the reaction force exerted by the pivot boom.

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex]=Fd
ƩF[itex]_{}x[/itex]=0
ƩF[itex]_{}y[/itex]=0

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was start by drawing a diagram of the picture but I don't know how to draw in the force. Your help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kurispice! welcome to pf! :smile:
kurispice said:
A 1200-N uniform boom at ∅=55° to the horizontal is supported by a cable at an angle θ=25.0° to the horizontal. The boom is pivoted at the bottom and an object of weight 2 000 N hangs from its top.

… I don't know how to draw in the force.

"cable" (like "rope" or "string", but unlike "beam" "boom" etc) means that the force must be along the cable :wink:

Related to Finding tension force and and components of a uniform boom

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that acts on an object in a direction that is away from the object's center. It is caused by pulling or stretching an object, and it is often represented by the symbol "T".

2. How can I calculate the tension force in a uniform boom?

To calculate the tension force in a uniform boom, you will need to know the weight of the object being supported by the boom and the angle at which the boom is being held. You can then use the formula T = W/cos(θ), where T is the tension force, W is the weight, and θ is the angle.

3. What are the components of tension force?

The two components of tension force are the horizontal component and the vertical component. The horizontal component is the force acting parallel to the ground, while the vertical component is the force acting perpendicular to the ground.

4. How do I find the horizontal and vertical components of tension force?

To find the horizontal and vertical components of tension force, you will need to use trigonometry. The horizontal component can be calculated using the formula Tcos(θ), and the vertical component can be calculated using the formula Tsin(θ), where T is the tension force and θ is the angle.

5. Can tension force change over time?

Yes, tension force can change over time. It can increase or decrease depending on the forces acting on the object and the angle at which the boom is being held. It is important to continually monitor and adjust the tension force to ensure the object is properly supported and to prevent any accidents or damage.