Finding Taylor Series of Functions - Tips to Make it Easier

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Taylor series of a function, specifically f(x)=ln(x) about x=e. The person is struggling with this concept and is asking for tips and help. They mention that this is the hardest section of Calculus for them. Another person named Daniel suggests finding as much information as possible about the function and using a pattern to write the series. They also mention that the power function can be easily differentiated multiple times, making the problem simpler.
pnazari
I was wondering if someone can give me some tips for finding the taylor series of functions. For example this was a test question we had:

Find the taylor series of f(x)=ln(x) about x=e

I know how to start it off but I get confused halfway through and can't seem to figure out what to do. Are there some simple steps? Any help/tips will be appreciated.

For me, this is the hardest section of Calc. II

Physics news on Phys.org
There aren't really any advice here.You just make sure the function is analytical in that point,which,in this case is...

So differentiate and write that series...

Daniel.

Find as much information as you can about f(x), usually f(e), f'(e) f''(e) if u can get that far. then find a pattern from there and write a series.

Thankfully,the power function can easily differentiated any # of times,so this problem is really simple.

Daniel.

Related to Finding Taylor Series of Functions - Tips to Make it Easier

1. What is the Taylor series of a function?

The Taylor series of a function is an infinite series of polynomials that approximates the behavior of the function near a specific point. It is a powerful tool in mathematics and physics for understanding the behavior of functions.

2. Why is finding the Taylor series of a function important?

Finding the Taylor series of a function allows us to approximate the behavior of the function at any point, even if it is not defined at that point. This can be useful in solving complex mathematical problems and analyzing physical systems.

3. What are some tips for making it easier to find the Taylor series of a function?

One tip is to use known Taylor series for common functions, such as trigonometric functions, and then manipulate them to fit the function you are working with. It can also be helpful to use computer software or online calculators to generate the Taylor series for a given function.

4. Can the Taylor series of a function be used to find the value of the function at a specific point?

Yes, the Taylor series can be used to find the value of a function at a specific point by plugging in the desired value for the variable in the series. However, the accuracy of this approximation depends on the number of terms used in the Taylor series.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor series for functions?

Yes, there are limitations to using Taylor series for functions. The series may not converge for all values of the variable, and it may not accurately represent the behavior of the function outside of the radius of convergence. Additionally, finding the Taylor series for some functions may be computationally difficult or impossible.