Finding Tangent Lines to Two Circles

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding equations for tangent lines between two circles, specifically focusing on the internal common tangents. The known information for this problem includes the coordinates of the circle centers and the radii of each circle. The conversation also mentions the use of derivatives, but ultimately concludes that geometry is the key to solving this problem. The process involves translating the tangent line until it becomes tangent to both circles, and then solving for the equation of the line. The conversation also suggests alternative approaches, such as solving the proposition of a tangent line to a given circle or using geometry to get rid of the circles in the problem. Overall, the conversation is seeking help in walking through this problem in order to write a computer program that
flyingmuskrat
How do you find the equation of the (sometimes 2 possible) tangent lines between two (or more) circles? like the 2 tangents that cross in the picture on this page: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle-CircleTangents.html.

The application for this is for a program that would draw this tangent line and for some reason a couple approaches have failed using derivatives, trying to find the angle with the tangent, etc..

The known information is the coordinates of the centers of the circles and the radii of each circle.

I'm not sure what's wrong, but I'm looking for help walking through this kind of simple problem. thanks so much!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that all the information you need is right there in the page that you link...

Clearly, it is easiest if you do a transformation so that x1 and x2 fall on the horizontal (like they show in the middle picture), and even better if x1 is at the origin.

...assuming that:

you can calculate, for example, the tangent in the second picture.

They first determine the line that is parallel to the tangent but that passes through x2 and is tangent to a circle on x1 with a radius of r1-r2...do you get that?

you have the 2 centers
you have the distance between the two centers...this is the hypotenuse of the one triangle the you will need to solve.
you have the r1-r2 short side of the triangle
because you know that the short side (r1-r2) and the 'tangent' line are perpendicular at the tangent point, you can apply Pythagoras' theorem and calculate the length of the long side (the 'tangent' line that passes through x2) of this rectangle
once you have all the sides, you can now calculate the angle (slope) of the 'tangent' line
and since you know it passes through x2, you can come up with an equation for it
then, translate further so that it actually becomes tangent to the 2 circles

so, I am not you ever need derivatives, here...it's all geometry

All the stuff before with I'm fine on but I'm confused on "translating this line along the radius through a distance until it falls on the original two circles" as it says in the link or "translate further so that it actually becomes tangent to the 2 circles" as you described. I'm looking for the internal common tangents, not the external ones, so it's not parallel. It's not that I couldn't find this tangent line myself, but I'm trying to write a computer program that constructs this line using it's equation for a large quantity of data.

nevermind I think I'm fine. You just solve those equations.

Given a circle C, can you solve the proposition "L is a tangent line to C" for L?

If you can do that, and find a convenient way to express the solution space, and are given another circle C', you could then proceed to solve the proposition "L is also a tangent line to C'".

Or, you can do some geometry to get rid of the circles and turn it into a problem of line segments and angles...

Related to Finding Tangent Lines to Two Circles

1. What is a tangent line to a circle?

A tangent line to a circle is a line that touches the circle at exactly one point. This point of contact is called the point of tangency.

2. How many tangent lines can be drawn to a circle from a given point?

There can be two tangent lines drawn to a circle from a given point outside the circle, one tangent line if the point is on the circle, and no tangent lines if the point is inside the circle.

3. Can a tangent line intersect a circle at more than one point?

No, a tangent line can only intersect a circle at one point, which is the point of tangency.

4. How do you find the equation of a tangent line to a circle?

To find the equation of a tangent line to a circle, you will need the coordinates of the point of tangency and the radius of the circle. Then, you can use the point-slope form or the slope-intercept form to write the equation.

5. Can two circles have more than two common tangent lines?

Yes, two circles can have up to four common tangent lines, depending on the positions and sizes of the circles. If the circles do not intersect, they can have up to two common external tangent lines and two common internal tangent lines if they are not nested within each other.