Finding Spring Constant Without Distance

In summary, the homework statement is "Spring Compressed = 20cm = .2m" and it decompresses and leaves the ground at a velocity of 5m/s. The mass of the spring is 6.00 kg.
mailmas

Homework Statement

Spring Compressed = 20cm = .2m
Decompresses and leaves the ground at a velocity of 5m/s
Mass = 6.00 kg

Homework Equations

k = fx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to go from here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: conservation of energy.

Simon Bridge said:
Hint: conservation of energy.
Awesome will Google this and come back with an attempt!

Don't you know what the law of conservation of energy says?
Just work out where the energy in the spring goes.

Simon Bridge said:
Don't you know what the law of conservation of energy says?
Just work out where the energy in the spring goes.
Energy is conserved and transformed into different types of energy within a conservative system?

Could I say the Ui = Kf? But how would I solve for the spring constant?

Equate it's kinetic energy to its spring potential energy

Soumyadip said:
Equate it's kinetic energy to its spring potential energy
... what about gravitational PE?

mailmas said:
Energy is conserved and transformed into different types of energy within a conservative system?
... No. Total energy is always conserved in a closed system.

\(\displaystyle Could I say the Ui = Kf? But how would I solve for the spring constant?[/QUOTE]
Technically you need the net loss in PE is equal to net gain in KE... you need summation signs in front of the variables.

What you have to do is think about what the energy changes are.
You know KE changes ... you have an equation for that. It starts out at rest, so KE=0, and ends op with speed v, so $$\Delta K = K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2}mv^2$$ right? Sound familiar?

Since you are told there is a non zero speed at the end, there is a net gain in kinetic energy. This energy has to come from somewhere ... where does it come from?

What other energies change?

Note: there is a change in compression in the spring, and there is a change in height: what sort of energy changes do those imply?

I handy discipline is just to write down "before", then write E_b = then list all the potential energies and kinetic energies there are.
Leave a space.
Write "after" and put E_a = then list all the potential and kinetic energies.
Then write E_b = E_a
... and solve the equation for the variable you need.\)

mailmas said:
Decompresses and leaves the ground at a velocity of 5m/s
Mass = 6.00 kg
Use the enormous help you have already had to solve the problem, but I am curious about one thing. Is there any more detail to the original question? What is the exact wording?

Likes Simon Bridge
haruspex said:
Use the enormous help you have already had to solve the problem, but I am curious about one thing. Is there any more detail to the original question? What is the exact wording?
... yeah: I think that is as far as I can go without actually doing the problem myself.

Related to Finding Spring Constant Without Distance

1. How do you calculate the spring constant without knowing the distance?

The spring constant can be calculated by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. Therefore, the spring constant can be determined by measuring the force applied to the spring and the resulting displacement without needing to know the initial distance.

2. What tools are needed to find the spring constant without distance?

To find the spring constant without distance, you will need a spring, a known weight, a ruler or measuring tape, and a force gauge or scale. These tools will allow you to measure the force applied to the spring and the resulting displacement, which are necessary for calculating the spring constant.

3. Can the spring constant be measured for any type of spring?

Yes, the spring constant can be measured for any type of spring as long as it follows Hooke's Law. This means that the force applied to the spring is directly proportional to the displacement, regardless of the type of spring. However, different types of springs may have different spring constants due to variations in their material, shape, and other factors.

4. How accurate is the calculation of spring constant without distance?

The accuracy of the spring constant calculation without distance depends on the precision of the measurements taken. The force applied to the spring and the resulting displacement should be measured as accurately as possible to ensure an accurate calculation of the spring constant. Additionally, any external factors that may affect the experiment, such as friction, should be minimized to ensure a more accurate result.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the spring constant without distance?

Knowing the spring constant without distance can be useful in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, mechanics, and physics. It can be used to design and build structures that rely on springs, such as suspension systems in vehicles, shock absorbers, and door hinges. It can also be used in experiments and research to study the behavior of springs and their applications in different fields.