Finding Speed on an incline when Power is known.

In summary, to find the maximum speed of a car on a 1 in 20 incline with a weight of 1920 N and an operating rate of 107 kW, the weight must be resolved into two components, one perpendicular to the incline and the other along the incline. The net force can then be found and used in the equation P = F x V to determine the maximum speed.
ddn87

Homework Statement

A car of weight 1920 N operating at a rate of
107 kW develops a maximum speed of 41 m/s
on a level, horizontal road.
Assuming that the resistive force (due to
friction and air resistance) remains constant,
what is the car’s maximum speed on an incline
of 1 in 20; i.e., if θ is the angle of the incline
with the horizontal, sin θ = 1/20 ?
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

This is the equation that i believe we have to use.
P=F x V

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have 107 kW which i assume i have to change to 107000 W.

Then we do 107000= F x 41m/s

i got F=2609.7560

Then for the incline plane the Watts should be the same but I am not sure what to do with the angle of the incline. Should I tack it on to the force? sin θ = 1/20 I guess that means the hypotenuse is 20 and the height of the incline is 1. And I am not sure where the weight of the car comes into play.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ddn87, welcome to PF.
Resolve the weight of the into two components. One perpendicular to inclined plane an other along the plane. This component opposes the motion of the car. Then find the net force. Using W = F*v , find the maximum velocity.

Okay so

To find the angle we must find the arcsin(1/20) and i got the angle to be 2.86598 degrees

the weight is 1920 so the y component of this is 1920cos(2.86598)= 1917.5985
in the x direction is 1920sin(2.86598)=95.99987

So i would take 2609.7560-95.99987 =2513.756133 and plug it in as F in P=F x V?

buti guess that means the speed increases which would not make sense if i subtract the x component from the original Net force.

Thankyou rl.bhat!
I got the right answer, thanks for welcoming me! ill probably need lots of help through out this semester

Related to Finding Speed on an incline when Power is known.

1. What is the formula for finding speed on an incline when power is known?

The formula for finding speed on an incline when power is known is: speed = power / (mass x gravity x sin(angle))

2. How do you determine the mass of an object when finding speed on an incline?

The mass of the object can be determined by either measuring the mass directly or by using its weight (force due to gravity) and dividing by the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for mass is: mass = weight / acceleration due to gravity

3. What is the role of gravity in finding speed on an incline?

Gravity is a crucial factor in calculating speed on an incline because it provides the force that causes the object to move. The acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) is used in the formula to determine the mass of the object.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the speed of an object?

The angle of the incline affects the speed of an object by changing the direction and magnitude of the gravitational force. As the angle increases, the force component pulling the object down the incline decreases, resulting in a slower speed. Conversely, a smaller angle will result in a larger force component and a faster speed.

5. Can this formula be used for finding speed on any incline?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate speed on any incline as long as the power and the mass of the object are known. However, it is important to note that the formula assumes a constant acceleration and does not take into account other factors such as air resistance.