Finding speed of water flowing in a pipe with changing diameter

In summary, the water flows at a speed of 1.5 m/s at point 1 and the diameter of the pipe is 4cm. At point 2, the diameter decreases to 3cm. The density of water is 998.2071 kg/m^3. To find the speed of water at point 2, conservation of matter and unchanging density can be assumed to calculate the volumetric rate of flow. Using the equation v_1*A_1=v_2*A_2, the speed at point 2 can be calculated by dividing -(v_1*A_1) by A_2. However, if the given values for A_1 and A_2 are diameters instead of areas
aija

Homework Statement

Water flows in a pipe with speed 1.5 m/s at point 1.
The diameter of the pipe at point 1 is 4cm and the diameter at point 2 is 3cm.
density of water: 998.2071 kg/m^3
What's the speed of the water at point 2?

Homework Equations

I think you need to use this. I just have no idea how to find pressures p_1 and p_2 which seems to be needed to get the solution v2 out of this:
p_1+0.5ρ(v_1)^2 = p_2+0.5ρ(v_2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to find the pressure difference p_2 - p_1
At this point I realize it's impossible because you need to use the equation above and it's also needed to solve v_2. No idea what else I could do.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume conservation of matter (water will not spontaneously appear or disappear in the pipe system) and unchanging density then what can you say about the volumetric rate of flow of water past any two given points? Can you calculate the rate of flow?

gneill said:
If you assume conservation of matter (water will not spontaneously appear or disappear in the pipe system) and unchanging density then what can you say about the volumetric rate of flow of water past any two given points? Can you calculate the rate of flow?
Thank you I got it. So the volume flow rate vA is constant so
v_1*A_1=v_2*A_2
V_2=-(v_1*A_1)/A_2

Last edited:
Still getting a wrong answer. Is something wrong in my equation?

with values
A_1 = 3.5 cm
A_2 = 2.5 cm
v_1 = 2.0 m/s

i get 2.8 m/s and it's wrong.

the correct answer was 3.9 m/s. But why did I get a wrong answer?

Last edited:
aija said:
Still getting a wrong answer. Is something wrong in my equation?

with values
A_1 = 3.5 cm
A_2 = 2.5 cm
v_1 = 2.0 m/s

i get 2.8 m/s and it's wrong.

the correct answer was 3.9 m/s. But why did I get a wrong answer?

Those look like different values from those in your original post. Are A_1 and A_2 supposed to be cross sectional areas or diameters? (The given units suggest diameters).

If they are diameters then they lead to a result of 3.92 m/s .

gneill said:
Those look like different values from those in your original post. Are A_1 and A_2 supposed to be cross sectional areas or diameters? (The given units suggest diameters).

If they are diameters then they lead to a result of 3.92 m/s .
Oh thanks. I accidentally used diameters as areas...

Related to Finding speed of water flowing in a pipe with changing diameter

1. How does the diameter of a pipe affect the speed of water flow?

The diameter of a pipe has a direct impact on the speed of water flow. As the diameter decreases, the velocity of the water increases. This is due to the principle of continuity, which states that the flow rate remains constant throughout a pipe. Therefore, when the diameter decreases, the same volume of water must flow through a smaller area, resulting in an increase in velocity.

2. What is the equation for calculating the speed of water flow in a pipe with changing diameter?

The equation for calculating the speed of water flow in a pipe with changing diameter is Bernoulli's equation. It states that the sum of the kinetic energy, pressure energy, and potential energy remains constant throughout the pipe. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for the velocity of the water flow.

3. How do you measure the diameter of a pipe for calculating the speed of water flow?

The diameter of a pipe can be measured using a caliper, ruler, or tape measure. It is important to measure the inner diameter of the pipe, as this is the area through which the water will flow. Additionally, multiple measurements should be taken at different points along the pipe to account for any irregularities or changes in diameter.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the speed of water flow in a pipe with changing diameter?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the speed of water flow in a pipe with changing diameter. These include the viscosity of the water, the roughness of the pipe's inner surface, and the presence of any obstructions or bends in the pipe. These factors can cause turbulence and affect the flow rate, so they must be taken into consideration when calculating the speed of the water flow.

5. Can the speed of water flow in a pipe with changing diameter be controlled?

Yes, the speed of water flow in a pipe with changing diameter can be controlled by adjusting the diameter of the pipe or by altering the pressure of the water. By changing the diameter, the velocity of the water can be increased or decreased. Similarly, by adjusting the pressure, the flow rate can be controlled. This is why pipes in a plumbing system may have different diameters depending on the desired water flow rate.