Finding speed of objects after elastic collison

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the final velocities of two objects in a perfectly elastic collision using the equations for conservation of momentum and the relationship between the velocities of the objects before and after the collision. The participants also clarify and check their calculations to ensure accuracy.
joe426

Homework Statement

7I8OI.png

Homework Equations

1/2m1v12 + 1/2m2v22 = 1/2m1v1f + 1/2m2v2f
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1f + m2v2f
v1 - v2 = -(v1f - v2f)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved the momentum of conservation for the final velocity of object 1. I then plug that equation into the third equation listed above, as v1f. But the thing is the equation i get for v1f has v2f in it and that is what I am solving for and this is where I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think any of the velocity equals 0 at any point. Initially they are moving in the same direction. Then since it says its perfectly elastic, one object will bounce back and have a velocity in the opposite direction. I think the 60g tennis ball will bounce back in the negative direction but I still can't figure out how to find the velocities after the collision :(

Show your whole work please.

ehild

First use conservation of momentum
( m1v12 + m2v22 - m2v2f2 ) / m1 = v1f2

Then plug this v1f into this helper equation, the third equation listed in first post.
v2f = v1 - v2 + [( m1v12 + m2v22 - m2v2f2 ) / m1 ]1/2

And I'm stuck because I can't get both v2f to one side so i can solve for it. then once i get v2f i plug it back into the first equation, [( m1v12 + m2v22 - m2v2f2 ) / m1 ], and solve for v1f

Use the last two equations. Plug in the numbers first. Express v1f from the third equation.

ehild

joe426 said:
1/2m1v12 + 1/2m2v22 = 1/2m1v1f + 1/2m2v2f
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1f + m2v2f
v1 - v2 = -(v1f - v2f)

Use the last two equations. Plug in the data first, express vif form the last equation, and substitute into the second one.

ehild

v1f = -v1 + v2 - v2f

Plugged that into,
(m1v1 + m2v2 - m1v1f) / m2 = v2f

v2f = -.368m/s

joe426 said:
v1f = -v1 + v2 - v2f

Check it.

ehild said:
Check it.

v1f = -v1 + v2 - v2f is really v1f = -v1 + v2 + v2f. ..

(m1v1 + m2v2 - m1v1f) / m2 = v2f turns into (m1v1 + m2v2 + m1v1f) / m2 = v2f

so v2f = .307m/s

joe426 said:
v1f = -v1 + v2 - v2f is really v1f = -v1 + v2 + v2f. ..

(m1v1 + m2v2 - m1v1f) / m2 = v2f turns into (m1v1 + m2v2 + m1v1f) / m2 = v2f

Check.

ehild

Plug in the numbers for v1 and v2: v1f = v2f - 1.35.
Plugging in the data into the equation m1v1+m2v2=m1v1f+m2v2f and also substituting v2f - 1.35 for v1f: 0.2535 = 0.06(v2f - 1.35)+0.09v2f.
Expand and collect the terms with v2f, solve.

ehild

Its 3.75 or 1.35?

Last edited:
Munzi5 said:
Its 3.75 or 1.35?

What is 3.75 or 1.35?

ehild

Related to Finding speed of objects after elastic collison

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not lose any energy to other forms, such as heat or sound.

How do you calculate the speed of objects after an elastic collision?

The speed of objects after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy of the system is lost and converted into other forms, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved and no energy is lost.

Can the speed of objects after an elastic collision be greater than their initial speeds?

Yes, in some cases, the speed of objects after an elastic collision can be greater than their initial speeds. This can occur if the objects have different masses and velocities before the collision and if the collision is perfectly elastic.

What are some real-world examples of elastic collisions?

A common example of an elastic collision is two billiard balls colliding on a pool table. Another example is a rubber ball bouncing off a hard surface. These collisions are considered elastic because the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved.