Finding Specific Heat of Metal

In summary: The metal and water eventually reach thermal equilibrium (Te), whereby the metal cools from 100, the water warms from 14. Since heat energy is preserved, heat lost by the metal equals the heat gained by the water (assuming the calorimeter absorbs none of the heat). The metal and the water eventually reach thermal equilibrium (Te), whereby the metal cools from 100, the water warms from 14. Since heat energy is preserved, heat lost by the metal equals the heat gained by the water (assuming the calorimeter absorbs none of the heat). Heat Lost = (specific heat)(50g)(100 C – Te)Specific heat of water= 1.00cal/g deg
eoneil

Homework Statement

A piece of metal of weight 50 grams is heated to a temperature of 100°C and then introduced into a calorimeter containing water at 14°C, the maximum temperature reached being 20°C. If the weight of the calorimeter is 5 grams, the specific heat of the metal of which it is made is 0.095 and the weight of the water it contains is 92 grams, calculate the specific heat of the given metal.

Homework Equations

deltaH=cmdeltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

First the metal is added to a known mass of water at a known temperature (50g added to water at 100 degrees) in a calorimeter. The metal and the water eventually reach thermal equilibrium (Te), whereby the metal cools from 100, the water warms from 14. Since heat energy is preserved, heat lost by the metal equals the heat gained by the water (assuming the calorimeter absorbs none of the heat).

The specific heat can be given as the calories per gram of material per degree change. The heat loss of the metal is:

Heat Lost = (specific heat)(50g)(100 C – Te)
Specific heat of water= 1.00cal/g deg
Heat Gained = (1.00cal/g deg)(92g)( Te – 14 C)
Heat Lost = Heat Gained, and the final temperature, Te, can be measured
With Te= 20 C.
Specific heat)(50g)(86 C)= (1.00cal/g deg)(92g)(6 C)
Specific heat=0.1283 cal/g deg

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see where you've accounted for the heat associated with the calorimeter. What are the units for the given value of specific heat of the calorimeter metal?

I'm confused as to where to include specific heat of the calorimeter metal, 0.095. And is it included alongside the net weight of 92g water + 5g calorimeter?

Presumably the calorimeter is the container holding the water. So it should participate.

Did the original problem not specify the units for the specific heat, or just the bare number, 0.095? Are we supposed to assume cal/gm-K ? J/kg-K? Something else?

I agree that the calorimeter values should be incorporated. As for the specific heat given, no units included.

eoneil said:
I agree that the calorimeter values should be incorporated. As for the specific heat given, no units included.

So, I suppose the best thing to do is assume the same units as those already used in the problem, cal/gm-K.

I think the answer lies somewhere in the 'heat gained' step.

(Specific heat)(50g)(80 C)= (1.00cal/g deg)(92g)(6 deg)

Since the water sits in the calorimeter, it must be at the same temperature. The calorimeter heats up alongside the water, but their specific heats are different. How do I combine two specific heats?

eoneil said:
Since the water sits in the calorimeter, it must be at the same temperature. The calorimeter heats up alongside the water, but their specific heats are different. How do I combine two specific heats?

I usually find it easier to combine the heat capacities, i.e., C = m1*cp1 + m2*cp2. you end up with a combined object with mass M = m1 + m2 and effective heat capacity C/M.

In fact, you can do the whole problem by calculating the total heat of all the components before mixing (use absolute temperature scale), and the total heat capacity when everything is together. The final temperature should equal the total heat over the total heat capacity: Tf = Q/C. Your unknown value (cp of the unknown metal) will appear in the final expression. Solve for it.

Related to Finding Specific Heat of Metal

1. What is the purpose of finding the specific heat of a metal?

The specific heat of a metal is a measure of how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of a certain amount of the metal by one degree. This information is important for various applications, such as designing heating and cooling systems, understanding thermal properties of materials, and calculating energy efficiency.

2. How is the specific heat of a metal determined?

The specific heat of a metal can be determined by conducting an experiment where the metal is heated to a known temperature and then placed in a container of water with a known temperature. By measuring the change in temperature of the water, the specific heat of the metal can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy transferred, m is the mass of the metal, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. Why is water used in the experiment to find the specific heat of a metal?

Water is used because it has a high specific heat, meaning it can absorb and retain a large amount of heat energy without a significant change in temperature. This allows for more accurate measurements of the heat energy transferred from the metal to the water, and thus a more precise calculation of the metal's specific heat.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the specific heat experiment?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the experiment. These include human error in measuring temperatures and masses, heat loss to the surroundings, and incomplete mixing of the metal and water. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain reliable results.

5. Can the specific heat of a metal change?

Yes, the specific heat of a metal can change under certain conditions. For example, the specific heat of a metal can vary with temperature, as well as with different phases or states of the metal (e.g. solid, liquid, gas). Additionally, impurities or alloying elements can also affect the specific heat of a metal. Therefore, it is important to specify the conditions under which the specific heat was measured when reporting this value.