Finding Solutions for $y'=Ay$ with Vector and Matrix Components

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the general solution for a system with a coefficient matrix of $A=\begin{bmatrix} 4 & 1\\ 4 & 4 \end{bmatrix}$ and eigenvalues of $\lambda_1=6$ and $\lambda_2=2$. It was determined that the general solution could be found by using the equation $y'=Ay$, where $y$ is a vector and $A$ is a matrix. This would provide solutions for both $y_1$ and $y_2$.
ineedhelpnow
I think this should be my last question :D It's a question i missed on my last exam and have no idea how to do it and I wanted to quickly go over because my final is in a few hours so if anyone could help that would be awesome

View image: 20151215 092327

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! (Wave)

The coefficient matrix for this system is $A=\begin{bmatrix}
4 & 1\\
4 & 4
\end{bmatrix}$, for which we determine the eigenvalues $\lambda_1=6$ and $\lambda_2=2$, which are both positive real values.
What can we deduce from that?

I'm thinking proper node that's unstable (Tmi)

ineedhelpnow said:
I'm thinking proper node that's unstable (Tmi)

(Nod)

How do i find the general solution of it though?

ineedhelpnow said:
How do i find the general solution of it though?

Which is the form of the solution of $y'=Ay$ ?

Right. Is the solution for both supposed to be found and then put together?

ineedhelpnow said:
Right. Is the solution for both supposed to be found and then put together?

In this case, if we have $y'=Ay$, $y$ is a vector and $A$ is a matrix.
You can find from this the general solution.
Thus you will find to what the vector $y$ will be equal and so you will have also the solution of $y_1$ and $y_2$.

Related to Finding Solutions for $y'=Ay$ with Vector and Matrix Components

1. What are critical points in science?

Critical points are points on a graph or in a mathematical function where the first derivative is equal to zero. In other words, they are points where the slope of the curve is flat or horizontal.

2. How are critical points important in scientific research?

Critical points are important because they represent the locations where a function changes behavior, such as from increasing to decreasing or from concave up to concave down. They can also help us identify the minimum or maximum values of a function.

3. What is stability in science?

In science, stability refers to the ability of a system to maintain its current state or equilibrium in the face of external or internal disturbances. It is a measure of how resistant a system is to change.

4. How do critical points and stability relate to each other?

Critical points are closely related to stability because they represent points where a system is at equilibrium. In other words, the system is not changing or moving at these points, making them stable positions.

5. How can we determine if a critical point is stable or unstable?

We can determine the stability of a critical point by analyzing the behavior of the function around that point. If the function approaches the critical point from both sides, it is a stable point. If the function approaches from one side and diverges on the other, it is an unstable point.