Finding Shear Stress at Point E on a Beam

In summary: I'm glad you got it right in the end.In summary, assuming that the neutral axis is at point D, you can find the shear stress at point E by locating the distance 0.80*b from the top edge of the upper flange.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

Determine the shear stress, [itex]\tau[/itex]E, at point E that corresponds to the maximum shear force along the length of the beam. V = 25kN

b= 55 mm
c=150 mm
d=110 mm
e=65 mm

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex]E = [itex]\frac{V*Q}{I*t}[/itex]

Q = [itex]\bar{y}[/itex]'*A'

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the shear stress for point D, but I'm having trouble finding point E. How do I find Q for that point? I read an example in my textbook but there was not much of an explanation.

Is point E the centroid for the area when the neutral axis is at point D? If this is the case, I would be able to find the shear stress.

Attachments

• i-beam.JPG
    i-beam.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, the diagram is not clear on where point E is located. The shear stress in the beam takes a large jump at the intersection of the upper flange and the web of the beam. In any case, Q will be the first moment of the area between E and the top of the flange, referenced about the neutral axis.

aaronfue said:
Is point E the centroid for the area when the neutral axis is at point D?
I am not sure, since I did not try it.

Technically speaking, we could say point E is located at a distance 0.80*b from the top edge of the upper flange. I.e., point E is located at (0.50*c + 0.20*b) from point D. Therefore, based on this assumption, you could find the shear stress at point E.

nvn said:
I am not sure, since I did not try it.

Technically speaking, we could say point E is located at a distance 0.80*b from the top edge of the upper flange. I.e., point E is located at (0.50*c + 0.20*b) from point D. Therefore, based on this assumption, you could find the shear stress at point E.

Thanks for all of the input. I was told to assume that point E was located at the point where the web meets the flange. Great drawing!(sarcasm) Got this one wrong.

Glad you are sorted now. However, shear stress is not evaluated at a point, but at a section. There is a difference.

Related to Finding Shear Stress at Point E on a Beam

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two surfaces slide or move against each other in opposite directions. It is also known as tangential stress and is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the cross-sectional area of the material. The formula for shear stress is τ = F/A, where τ is shear stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What are the factors that affect shear stress?

The factors that affect shear stress include the magnitude of the applied force, the cross-sectional area of the material, and the material's shear modulus (a measure of a material's resistance to being sheared). Additionally, the shape and orientation of the material can also affect shear stress.

4. How does shear stress impact materials?

Shear stress can cause materials to deform, or change shape, as the force applied causes the material to slide or move. If the shear stress exceeds the material's shear strength, it can lead to permanent deformation or failure of the material. Therefore, understanding and managing shear stress is important in designing and constructing structures and materials.

5. How is shear stress different from other types of stress?

Shear stress is different from other types of stress, such as tension or compression, because it acts parallel to the surface of the material, rather than perpendicular. It also does not cause a change in the overall length or volume of the material, but instead causes a change in its shape or orientation.