: Finding Scalars from Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of scalars and unit vectors in relation to vectors. The speaker explains how to find the magnitude of a vector using the Pythagorean theorem, and how to determine a unit vector by maintaining the same direction as the original vector. The conversation also touches on the concept of resultant vectors and how to add them using basic vector addition.
Amil
A=6i-8j m, B= -8i=3j m

I know how to add and multiply vectors, but how do I find the two scalars of a and b?
Also, I can’t figure out how to find the unit vector and direction of Resultant Vectors.

Please Help!

Thanks

Amil

Physics news on Phys.org
The "scalar" of a vector I assume you're speaking of the "magnitude" as expressed by the notation |A|. This is similar to finding like the hypotenuse of a triangle.
For A, if you go 6 units to the right, then 8 units down, how far is your point from the origin? Thats what the magnitude is. If you know basic trig you use the pathagorean theorem to solve for that length.

A unit vector is just a vector with a magnitude of 1. So it has the same direction as the original vector, which means it has the same ratio of hight to width(i to j). How do you think you could get this vector with magnitude of 1?

"Reslutant" vector I assume you mean that if you do one and then the other from that point, where are you? So it would be basic "vector addition". If your vectors were just 5i and 19i, and you wanted the resultant, well, take a pencil from the origin 0, and move to the right 5 units, then again 19 units. Now a vector is "how far" and "in what direction". So you would be 5+19 = 24 units, still in the "i" direction, so the resultant = 24i. You can apply this same reasoning to the other vectors.

Hi Amil,

To find the scalars of a and b, you can use the formula a = ||A||cosθ and b = ||B||cosθ, where ||A|| and ||B|| are the magnitudes of the vectors A and B, and θ is the angle between the vectors.

To find the unit vector of a resultant vector, you can divide the vector by its magnitude. For example, if the resultant vector is C = 10i + 5j, the unit vector would be C/||C|| = (10i + 5j)/√(10^2 + 5^2).

To find the direction of a resultant vector, you can use the formula tanθ = (y/x), where x and y are the components of the vector. This will give you the angle θ in the appropriate quadrant.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck!

Related to : Finding Scalars from Vectors

1. What is the difference between scalars and vectors?

Scalars are quantities that have only magnitude, such as temperature or mass. Vectors, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

2. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. For example, if a vector has components (3,4), its magnitude would be found by taking the square root of (3^2 + 4^2) which is equal to 5.

3. What is the process for finding the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be found by taking the inverse tangent of the y-component over the x-component. This will give you the angle that the vector makes with the positive x-axis.

4. How can I find the scalar component of a vector in a specific direction?

To find the scalar component of a vector in a specific direction, you can use the dot product. The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. So, to find the scalar component of a vector in a specific direction, you would multiply the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the desired direction.

5. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of a vector?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of a vector by treating the vector's components as the sides of a right triangle. The hypotenuse of this triangle would be equal to the magnitude of the vector.