: Finding Scalars from Vectors

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with finding the scalars, unit vector, and direction of resultant vectors A and B, which are represented as 6i-8j m and -8i+3j m, respectively. They mention knowing how to add and multiply vectors, but are unsure about finding the scalars. They also provide a link for further assistance.
Amil
A=6i-8j m, B= -8i=3j m

I know how to add and multiply vectors, but how do I find the two scalars of a and b?
Also, I can’t figure out how to find the unit vector and direction of Resultant Vectors.

Please Help!

Thanks

Amil

Physics news on Phys.org
What two scalars of a and b?

I will assume that you really meant A and B, rather than a and b, but still there are many ways to get scalars from vectors. I am less sure about assuming that you meant the length of the vectors. That is defined as the square root of the sum of the squares of the components.

In particular, if A=6i-8j m(eters?) then the length of A is |A|= [itex]\sqrt{6^2+ (-8)^2}= \sqrt{36+64}= \sqrt{100}[/itex]= 10 meters.

If B= -8i=3j m (this was supposed to be -8i+ 3j, right?), then the length of B is
|B|= [itex]\sqrt{(-8)^2+ 3^2}= \sqrt{64+9}= \sqrt{73}[/itex] meters.

Related to : Finding Scalars from Vectors

1. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you find the scalar component of a vector?

To find the scalar component of a vector, you can use the formula: scalar component = vector magnitude * cos(angle between vector and x-axis).

3. Can a vector have a negative scalar component?

Yes, a vector can have a negative scalar component if the angle between the vector and the x-axis is in the third or fourth quadrant.

4. What is the purpose of finding scalars from vectors?

Finding scalars from vectors allows us to break down a vector into its individual components, which can be useful in solving problems involving forces, motion, and other physical quantities.

5. Is it possible to convert a scalar into a vector?

No, a scalar and a vector are two different types of quantities and cannot be converted into each other. However, a scalar can be multiplied by a unit vector to create a vector with the same magnitude and direction as the scalar.