Finding Rotational Energy and Acceleration of Decending Mass

In summary, a disk with a radius of 0.3m and a mass of 4kg is connected to a weight with a mass of 5kg through a cord. When the weight is released, the acceleration of the descending mass can be calculated. After 5 seconds, the rotational energy of the disk can be determined using the formula I disk = (1/2)MR2. To find the rotational energy after 5 seconds, the angular acceleration must be known, which can be determined using free body diagrams and Newton's 2nd Law for both the disk and the hanging mass.
nvallettejr
1. A disk with radius of 0.3m and a mass of 4kg is free to rotate about an axle through its center. A cord wrapped around the circumference supports a weight with mass 5kg.

a) What is the acceleration of descending mass if it is released?

b) 5 seconds after release what is the rotational energy of the disk?

2. I disk = (1/2)MR2

3. I know that Idisk = (1/2)(4)(.3)2 is 0.18. After that I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw two free body diagrams, one for the disk and one for the hanging mass. Write Newton's 2nd Law pertinent to each FBD.

Okay that sounds right I have that done but how do we get the rotational energy after 5 seconds??

If you know the angular acceleration, you can get the rotational speed at t = 5 s from the kinematic equations and from that the rotational energy.

Related to Finding Rotational Energy and Acceleration of Decending Mass

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is a form of kinetic energy and is dependent on the object's mass, rotational speed, and moment of inertia.

2. How is rotational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational energy is E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the relationship between rotational energy and acceleration?

Rotational energy and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the rotational energy increases, so does the acceleration, and vice versa.

4. How can we find the rotational energy of a descending mass?

To find the rotational energy of a descending mass, we need to know the mass of the object, its distance from the axis of rotation, and its angular velocity. We can then use the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2 to calculate the rotational energy.

5. What factors affect the rotational energy of a descending mass?

The rotational energy of a descending mass is affected by its mass, distance from the axis of rotation, and angular velocity. Additionally, the shape and size of the object can also impact its moment of inertia, and thus, its rotational energy. Friction and air resistance may also play a role in the energy loss of a descending mass.